View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheNannyTina
FitDay Member

Default healthy desserts?

In my quest to get better in shape and loose weight for my mission trip in August. I have found it is nearly if not next to impossible to have a social life and be healthy. A lot of the times I find myself in a sticky situation, is when I am going to a friends for dinner, or situations like tonight. There is a ladies night out at church. Which is normally filled to the brim, and more candy, cookies, cakes, pies, and desserts that could choke a horse. Or give a horse a heart attack. But, where there is a will, there is a way! And my need and desire to fellowship, and be built up spiritually, and not dive on nutrition. I have come up with a plan that has been working so well lately! I ordered a book of healthy cost effiecent recipes. (which was a steal, because it was in bargains because there was a crease on the cover!)

This is my favorite dessert recipe that I can smell cooking in the oven as we speak. (so of course I just make sure I take a portion within reason of my own dessert I bring, and now what I am eating, and not kill my goal in the proccess!)

Berry Cobbler (will put nutrition info at bottom)

Filling-
- 4 cups fresh or frozen berries (I have been using the frozen mixed berries with no added sugar)
-1/2 C brown sugar
-2 T whole wheat flour
-1/2 lemon juice
-1 T water

Crust-
-3 T cold butter
-1 Cup whole wheat flour
-3/4 C brown sugar
-1 1/2 t baking powder
-1/2 t salt
-2/3 C low fat milk (I was out of milk the first time I made it, and just used water. You couldn't tell, and it got RAVING reviews!)

-Directions-
In a small saucepan, combine the berries, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, and water. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once a thick sauce forms, remove from heat, and pour into a greased 2-qt baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, make the crust by cutting the butter into the flour with a pastry blender until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Add the brown sugar, baking powder, and salt, and mix. Stir in the milk to form a sticky dough. Drop by the spoonfuls onto the berry mixture, covering as much of the berries as possible.

Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. Or the crust is a golden brown

Nutrition info per serving (1 1/4 Cup!)
Calories- 189
Fat- 7mg
Cholesterol- 16mg
Carbs- 31g
Fiber- 5g
Protein- 4g
Sodium- 342mg

So much better than just eating all the stuff others bring. Because once you sample a little of this and a little of that. I can never figure it out, and usually blow it. This plan of action seems to work great for me!

Tina
TheNannyTina is offline   Reply With Quote