Notices

Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me!

Hello I am a new member of Fitday and would like to ask if its possible to allow fitday to set your goal weight higher than you actualy weigh, everytime I try it wont update. I am 115 lbs at 5'8 and would like to use the weight goal features in my fitday so I can track my weight gain.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Unfortunately, the FitDay software does not support a weight gain goal.

Weight loss is a relatively simple calculation, because for the most part it means losing fat; weight gain is far more complex, as most people are not looking to put fat on, but muscle, and this calculation is much more complex and involves activities on a whole different level. In addition, many of those wanting to gain weight are dangerously underweight to begin with, and any weight gain should be under a doctor's care, not a website's. Essentially this is the reason FD does not and will not (at least for the foreseeable future) offer help for those who wish to gain weight.

- IB-Kim

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-10-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Included original post for clarification, along with the original edit by IBKim
Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

I would like to be able to do this as well
Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM
FitDay Member

If you are a Twiggy you might want to check out eatting disorder support too.

Last edited by Lynzatn; 01-10-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

Personally, I am following a strength building program with the intention to add as much lean muscle mass as possible. Naturally, this will lead to a healthy gain in weight as well. I would guess the original poster has the same intentions.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

I don't know if that is possible.

If it is not, you might want to try a reverse showing of your weight gain. Set what is your actual goal weight as your current weight and set your real current weight as your goal weight. Every time you gain weight, record it as a weight loss. If you lose weight, record it as a weight gain.

Hope that helps and is not too confusing.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie Deficit

Hi. I am new to FitDay. 1st post on here.

I am a little confused.

1. I hit the gym almost every day. It is a lifestyle thing and I always go there on the way home from work unless I am booked elsewhere. When I enter in all my activities I get to a total of about 2500 to 2800 calories used each day and then when I enter in all my food I total to about 2000 to 2200 a day. So I am constantly working off more calories than I take in. And yet I am not reducing body fat. Anyone know why this is or if I am entering something wrongly?

2. I am trying to put on weight and so I cannot record my weight goal and therefore track my progress because it errors out. I am currently 74kgs and want to be 80kgs. Anyone know if there is an adjustment being made to this part of the system?

Thanks
Marshal Max
Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
FitDay Member

I find the calorie burned estimates on here quite high, by about 50% for me (it says I burn 3000 calories most days and I know it's more like 2000). That goes for both their general lifestyle calculations and most of the individual activities. I would guess that you're not seeing any loss because you're actually only burning about 2000 calories.

That being said, if you want to gain weight, even lean mass, it's not going to happen on a calorie deficit. So it might be better to keep eating around 2000 calories, make sure to get enough protein, and stick with your workouts. Give it some more time and if you don't see results, maybe add more resistance training and/or vary your workouts more. With any luck, you'll gain muscle mass without increasing fat, thus decreasing your body fat %. It doesn't sound like you have much fat to lose, so cutting too many calories might cause you to lose lean mass as well as fat, not what you want.

If you've only been working out and tracking your diet for a few weeks, it may just take more time to see results. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. The thought about the high burn rates had crossed my mind.

I am not intentially watching my calories. I just eat 6 times a day but never any massive meals. I just finished Cabot's book about residual carbs at the end of each day get turned into cholesterol and am really just focused on increasing protein throughout the day and minimising carbs after midday. Most muscle builders get the wrong idea and consume masses of stuff and then wonder why 1/2 their gain is actually fat!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

hi,

i'm a distance runner, so i'm doing different work than you are doing; the caloric balance generated by fitday seems to work for me. my weight has been very constant over several years, and fitday's calculators show i'm usually within a few 100 calories in my input vs output levels.

i'm trying to drop several pounds during my next marathon training period, and i will be keeping an eye on my weight and my average caloric deficit... so i'll have a quantitative measure of the error in fitday's calculation during the next few weeks.

best wishes
Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM
FitDay Member

Hey mcsolar, I run too. Calorie burn calculators seem to vary wildly. The one here says I burn almost 1000 calories for 5 miles (!) whereas I just compared on a couple of running sites and got 530 and 457. The rest of their calculation (for everyday activities) also seems high, though not outlandish.

I find the food calories here to be enormously helpful and, I think, pretty accurate, but I don't lose weight eating as much as it tells me to. But I would bet that it's closer for some than others; everyone's body composition, metabolism, etc. is a little bit different. I wonder how good it is at adjusting for sex, age, weight, etc.

I guess the point is to experiment and find what balance works for you, and to be aware that if the weight on the scale isn't corresponding to the calculators here, the calorie burn formula might be a more likely culprit than you doing something wrong or something being wrong with your body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.