View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #174 (permalink)
01gt4.6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mern View Post
About everything I read on the Internet says good quality, purified fish oil capsules are the best source of omega-3, but good dietary sources I found on various websites include:

fish: 2-3 servings per week--cold water fish such as salmon, herring, American Shad, Pacific and Atlantic mackeral, whitefish, Pacific oysters, Atlantic sardines and trout.

Omega-3 per 4 oz. serving:
chinook salmon-2 grams
halibut .6 grams
tuna .4 grams

free range beef and poultry (because of their feed)

raspberries, strawberries
tofu
wheat germ

veggies: leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, romain lettuce, collard greens.

oils: olive, canola, flaxseed, soybean and walnut

walnuts: 1/4 cup offers 2.27g omega=3.
almonds
pumpkin seeds
flaxseed (must be ground--body can't digest whole seeds) excellent source--2.4 grams per two tablespoon serving.

beans: one cup of soybeans, navy beans, or kidney beans provides between .2 and 1 gram omega-3
damn!!!! forget that! I just pick up my jar of Naturally More Peanut butter and for JUST 2 tbsp (32g) you get:
Omega-3 4.1g
Omega-6 1.2g

If my calculations are correct, you'd have to eat 2.5 POUNDS of tuna to equal the amount of Omega-3 that's in 2 tbsp of Naturally More. IMO PB taste better than fish any day... and I like fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mern View Post
Mike, I showed my husband your 210 vs. 174 side-by-side comparison and your 3-11 photo. He was really amazed at all you've accomplished in just 6 months. He's 72 and has been going to the gym 3 times a week for two years and has gotten rid of most of his big belly but isn't all "muscled up" like you are. I told him you call it "six months of busting my ass" and he said it certainly shows you worked really hard at it.
tell him I said thanks! It's a shame I haven't seen much change in the last year though. But I really can't complain.

At 72 it'll be much harder for him to build muscle mass. If he doesn't lose any muscle then he'll be doing better than 99% of the people his age. The fact that he's not only active, but takes it to the next level by going to the gym speaks volumes. I recently read that doing bench press helps fight against glaucoma by lowering the pressure on your eyes. Many people don't realize how much of a big deal it is for seniors to be active, it not only keeps you in good physical health but keeps your mind sharp and is great mental boost. BUT... you may want to keep an eye on him if he starts wanting to do water aerobics, there's probably a lady or two that might be scoping out your beau!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-12-2011 at 02:15 AM.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote