View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
mecompco
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
I've had problems measuring body fat. Take 2 different machines, get 2 different answers. Use an online calculator, get a different answer again. My % ranges from 18 - 28%.

Trouble is, there isn't a totally reliable method short of autopsy, which I presume isn't on your agenda!

Therefore, pick a method and stick to it. I've more or less given up on the idea and will do the old fashioned methods of scales, mirror and trousers.

There is one method I've been told about, however, that does seem to get the most accurate results:- Hydrostatic weighing. It involves weighing you dry and then weighing you totally submerged in water. Don't ask me how it works, but apparently it does. Have a Google and see if it exists in your locale. Personally, I'm not going to bother with it.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Truthfully, I'm not that hung up on having an exactly correct number--I just want something that is consistent, even if it's off as long as it's off consistently, if you get my drift.

If I lose more fat and somehow manage to gain a little muscle, I want the device to tell me. I find that I do much better if I have some concrete way to "keep score". While losing weight, of course the scale is easy. Once it comes time to maintain and work strictly on overall "fitness" that's where I foresee trouble.

Regards,
Michael

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote