Notices

High heart rate while running

Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default High heart rate while running

Hi guys,

I've just posted this question in another thread, then realized that it might be a good idea to get more people to see it. Anyways, I'm a runner who has now tried for the very first time her running buddy's heart rate monitor.
We changed his stats to mine (I'm 5'5, female and 29 y/o) and found out that we've got pretty much the same "optimal training pulse range" (between 123 and 163 beats per minute). That's one thing I find confusing. He is a lot taller (183 cm) and heavier (about 100 kgs), but one year younger.
For 10 ks we needed about 1.15 hours, that's what we've been running continuously since January (we started running in October, doing 8ks and have since upped it to 10 ks). However, the monitor informed me that I was above the recommended range for more than 45 minutes. My pulse was often somewhere between 150 to almost 170. Does that mean that we are still going to fast for my heart's liking? Do I need to bother at all? Do I need to slow down? Do i need to practice more often? (we usually run twice a week) I feel fine and energetic during the runs, not exhausted or nauseous.
My resting pulse rate is 119/120.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Molly
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

That's the problem with set equations, they are a one size fit all solution. which just doesnt' work. I would suggest determing what you Anaerobic Threshold is first. Most training zones these days use AT as a marker vs. the 220 - age predicted max hr (which is probably what your HR monitor did...it then takes a % of that Max HR.) Best way would be to get a metabolic exercise assessment (measures your oxygen and CO2 alogn with HR.) Every person is different in what their ranges should be. Only way to know for sure is measurement. I'd check out your local university or try New Leaf: Metabolism, Fitness & Athletic Training. They are a metabolic assessment company and their site locator will show you where you can get an assessment done. I did and it completely changed my running programs...for the better.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Do you count your own resting pulse or did you get it from the heart monitor (and are you counting it before or after your run)? 120BPM is a bit high for resting. When I didn't work out back in college mine was 80-90BPM; in the last three years it's come down to 60BPM or less. You've been running 8-10k since last fall so your resting HR should be much lower.

Your heart monitor may not be properly calibrated. Check your input settings again, and if that doesn't work see if you can borrow another heart monitor and see if you get the same reading.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Molly,

I've had a similar issue. My HR gets high when I work out or do cardio. When I jog it gets scary at times. I've had it get as high as 236bpm on a recumbent bike. I've been to a Cardiologist and had a stress test done (he shut it down too early b/c it was climbing too rapidly). The nurse had me hooked up to the monitor when I was sitting in the chair waiting on the doctor, he came in and asked me to step up on the tredmill. As soon as I stood up the nurse blurted out "holy sh!t!". My HR went from like 65bpm to I think like 120bpm just from standing up. They also did an EKG and echogram (I think it was). He said that my heart was fine that there was another issue that was triggering it to beat fast. He thought that either I had a hyperthyroid or low iron and sent me to an endocrinologist. I had blood work done and the endocrinologist said that everything looks fine. So now I have paid maore money than I'd like for Dr. Suess to send me to Dr. Jekyll and still not have an answer.

If your HR conserns you I would go to a Dr. and get it checked out, just pray that you don't go to the same doctors that I did.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
FitDay Member

Hi guys,

just wanted to thank you for your advice! Will definitely try a different monitor and check with my university. If I still find it worrysome, I guess I'll have to consult a doctor, too.

Thanks again!!!

Molly
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default Update

So...I went to see a doctor and apparently everything's fine. My resting pulse is in fact 80, so you rightly suggested that the monitor was way off!