Notices

The Eat More and Move Less Diet?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default The Eat More and Move Less Diet?

In all seriousness, has anyone ever seen a "diet", be it cabbage soup, Deal A Meal, WW, South Beach, Zone, HCG, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System--you name it, that did NOT include as part of the plan to reduce (though this may be hidden by "points", etc.) your calories and increase your exercise?

I guess if people realized (and internalized the realization) that the secret to losing weight is simply to burn more calories than they consume, through eating less and/or exercising more that the multi-billion dollar "diet" industry would die out.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

The primal/paleo diets are not really about eating less and exercising.

Honestly, I DID try doing that with little to no success in the last few years.

I think for me, it is a mixture of things all coming together that is providing me with some weight loss of late.

Surely, I have some allergic reactions to certain foods and this is why the paleo diet has helped. Perhaps inflamation slows or even causes weight loss to come to a halt.

I have eliminated sugar + dairy and greatly reduced grain. I'm also eating a lot more vegetables.

I DO suspect I am eating slightly less calories. By eating a lot more vegetables, which are naturally low in calories...this tends to happen.

Although I do exercise, I am exercising much less than I was previously.

In the last month, I have had MORE energy. Soo.....naturally, I am moving my body more day to day.

Early this morning, I just felt like cleaning the house. I thought to myself....I probably burned a few calories that I would not have normally done...plus I got things cleaned! A double win.

No doubt we are all different. But I can tell you that for me, it has not been as simple as reducing calories and exercising more. When I was younger (>35) that was more the case. It was a simple and clear formula. Today, although eating less and moving more is part of my weight loss effort (and success) it is only part of the equation.

Last edited by AAFlaca; 02-01-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
FitDay Member

thats great that you have losing weight.i know the difficulties of a fat person.they are disliked by everyone and they also can do many jobs as compare to a slim and fit person thats why everybody wants a slim body.i also do excercise to get a perfect body and also i suggest everybody to do excercise and lose their unwanted fat.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
FitDay Member

I totally agree Michael, almost every diet I've ever seen advertised said the same three things, "buy our stuff", "moderate exercise", and just under the before and after pictures of someone that lost a bunch of weight using their products "results not typical".

I hate to say it but people want to pay for that quick fix solution, we're at the mercy of the diet industry because we want to be. I cannot tell you how many people want a single answer to how I've lost weight, but when I tell them it's all about diet and exercise, that you've just got to burn more than you take in, they don't want to hear that and they don't believe me. They want a pill or a workout system, or a line of meal products, a diet name, or surgery, something expensive and in a package that they can wrap their heads around. Why they can't wrap their heads around simple math, I don't know.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-15-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Regardless of what you do, it takes effort. Paleo takes effort to avoid refined foods. Weight watchers takes effort to count points. People want the package deal because taking a magic pill is easy. Lifestyle changes are hard. They want someone to do the work for them. And the diet industry is more than willing to capitalize on that.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I totally agree Michael, almost every diet I've ever seen advertised said the same three things, "buy our stuff", "moderate exercise", and just under the before and after pictures of someone that lost a bunch of weight using their products "results not typical".

I hate to say it but people want to pay for that quick fix solution, we're at the mercy of the diet industry because we want to be. I cannot tell you how many people want a single answer to how I've lost weight, but when I tell the it's all about diet and exercise, that you've just got to burn more than you take in, they don't want to hear that and they don't believe me. They want a pill or a workout system, or a line of meal products, a diet name, or surgery, something expensive and in a package that they can wrap their heads around. Why they can't wrap their heads around simple math, I don't know.
Yup, it's funny. I work at a school so I have lots of co-workers. "What's your sercret?", they whisper. "Eat less and move more", I reply. I think they are dissapointed.

Kinda funny--I always have fruit for my mid-morning "snack"--usually a banana but sometimes I vary it up a bit. Recently I happened to have brought a couple small grapefruits (they were on sale--3 bucks for a bag).

Now I like grapefruits but this is first time I'd bought them in the last year. This lady saw me walking to my desk with them and whispered confidentially "is that your weight loss secret?". LOL! Yup, I've lost ~160 pounds in nine months eating nothing but grapefruits.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

This post is making me laugh

Funnily enough, Michael, I just went to an hour an a half long seminar today on gut peptides, hormones, and obesity. I work in brain science, but the pitch of the talk was how the stomach and the brain talk to each other (even though the talk was like...95% stomach, I felt gipped!)

Anyway, the speaker had a really interesting and strange point of view about the whole thing. As a stomach physiologist who studied obesity, the opening of the talk was about how the media sort of warps "obesity" in the modern world - he showed a lot of data about how the MEDIAN or MEAN BMI hasn't really changed much in hundreds of years. In the early 1900s, it was at about 25.5. Now it's somewhere around 26.5 or 27, which is not a huge increase. He also talked about how the proportions of Underweight, Healthy, Overweight, and Obese persons hasn't seemed to change much since the 1700s. What *has* changed in the past 20 years or so is the proportion of people with a BMI over 40, or the "Morbidly Obese" -- the median in the population has barely shifted, but the -skew- of weight is lumped towards the heavy end because of this "emergence" in the population.

He said he believed that the propensity to be Morbidly Obese has been an underlying hormonal/chemical problem and that the availability of a sedentary lifestyle (whereas, most of these persons would have had to move more in everyday life in the past) has allowed the population to come to the fore. He also believes that Obesity/Morbid Obesity is "natural" and that "some people will always be that way." He also used the words "Naturally Thin" throughout his talk. He actually -said- that Diet and Exercise tend to make the Obese and Morbidly Obese simply "maintain weight" and that "lifestyle doesn't matter in the face of your genes."

I couldn't help but sit and think of quite a few people on these boards who might challenge his point of view The man is an MD/Ph.D. (who, by the way, does lots and lots of gastric bypass surgeries -- and his research is dedicated to dietary changes and their probably hormonal basis after surgery) and so I'm sure he's very smart, but it's just an example of how point of view (or research aims!!!) can skew the view!

So -- it may not be the "Eat More and Move Less" Diet, but I think that man would have certainly advocated the "Don't Diet And Accept Your Fate!" view!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Yup, it's funny. I work at a school so I have lots of co-workers. "What's your sercret?", they whisper. "Eat less and move more", I reply. I think they are dissapointed.
Ha! I work for a school district, I get the same question, and I give the exact same answer (word for word)! Must be a teacher thing. Every time, I see their face fall, like they missed out on getting a magic secret to easy weight loss. No one wants to hear that it takes effort and there is no magic to it. Everyone already knows they should be eating less and moving more, but no one wants to actually do it!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
FitDay Member

wao thats a great achievemant that you have get it.but be aware and continued this.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Taubele..haha it reminds me once again of how important it is to consider the source! My husband is a physician and if he has asked me once he has asked me a hundred times to look into the financing behind the article.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.