View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chocoholic89
FitDay Member

Default So glad I found this place!

I've already posted a few times, but figured I should introduce myself.

My name is Kris, I live in Canada, and have been married over 5 years to my wonderful husband.

I have been heavy as long as I can remember. Since at least maybe 8 years old I would say.

My heaviest weight was 256 back years ago, I remember my size 26 jeans were starting to not fit, and thats when I worked to lose 35lbs. I stepped on the scale in January of this year and was just stunned I was almost back to that point(wearing size 24's which fit fine, so I thought I would have gotten warning).

My family has a history of heart disease and diabetes. My Dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at age 42. At age 52, early morning of christmas eve, he died in his sleep. He had a heart attack/cardiac arrest (not 100% sure which, but it doesn't matter). Two weeks before, my sister and I had discussed how we were worried about him, how he wasn't going to the doctor to get checked out, how he was sneaking cookies and things. But I spoke to him only hours before, and I never would have known he was about to die.

I was barely 24, my sister 27, my brother was just about to turn 21. He was the one who tried CPR, but it was too late. My Dad's 90 year old mother passed away the day after his funeral from cancer- she actually outlived him. He was the youngest of 6 siblings. He meant everything to me. It was totally preventable.

Two years ago my mom, on her birthday, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My grandfather(her dad) is diabetic, and after her party was testing himself, and offered for her to test. Her sugar was over 3 times what it should have been. She spent the night of her birthday in the ER getting tests done. I cried all night. She still eats a bunch of stuff I know she shouldn't. I know there exists the good chance of the same thing happening again.

I had high blood pressure when I was just 25 or so. The doctor gave me two months to get it better, or I would have to go on medication. Its since come down to that high normal area. I want it to be normal, period.

Its really embarrassing, but I'm going to say it. What broke the camel's back was one night, my husband and I had grilled cheese with homemade onion rings. Two slices of cheese, on texas toast bread, with bacon between. I felt digusting. Not physically, but mentally, just all over. Just thinking about it makes me feel ill.

Though nothing is written in stone, my chances of getting type two diabetes is now 75% because both my parents had it. I don't want it, and I'm going to do whatever I can to avoid it. There is the suspicion now that my younger brother already has it. I get tested often, I know I've been lucky so far. Everytime weight comes off, I feel pride that I haven't felt in a long time. Like I'm making the decision, I want to LIVE.

Thanks so much for welcoming here
Current weight as of March 11/11: 233.4lbs
Lost so far: 15.7
1st mini goal, -15lbs by March 13,234.1lbs -almost met, two days late but still!
2nd mini goal, 10% body weight: 224.4lbs by June 1st
Goal weight: 135lbs
Chocoholic89 is offline   Reply With Quote