Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Cut calories and fat, was losing weight...now hungry and gaining?! >

Cut calories and fat, was losing weight...now hungry and gaining?!

Notices

Cut calories and fat, was losing weight...now hungry and gaining?!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Cut calories and fat, was losing weight...now hungry and gaining?!

Hi all,

I've been cutting calories and fat for a little over two weeks now. Just joined fitday a week and a half ago. I'm female and 5' 3" and started out at 251.3 and got down to 240.6 this Sunday. Now I'm back up to almost 244 and I have no idea why. I'm eating roughly 1350-1500 calories a day, some days less, bit more on weekends. Except for on Friday for a night out, I haven't gone over 50 grams of fat, most days around 35. I'm entering everything I'm eating into the fitday software, burning over 1000 calories a day, most days more.

I haven't starting an exercise program yet, its been so cold here that all the things I like to do to exercise haven't been a good option (biking, walking etc). I know I have to start really soon but need to find something I can actually do.

This week I have been experiencing the worst hunger pains of my life. And its definitely not thirst, or "I'm bored". But more like stomach growling "I haven't eaten in 3 days, I can't sleep because of the pain" hunger pains. I AM eating, but soon after I'm hungry again. Mentally I don't want to eat, but just want the pain to go away. I keep hoping they'll go away as soon as my body realizes this is the way it is.

I'm feeling miserable that I'm hungry and now not even losing weight. Any help you could give would be REALLY appreciated. I find all I can think about now is this, and I just want to feel normal again.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

Could it be PMS? The other thought that crossed my mind is are you getting enough protein? It almost sounds like you are describing a "carb crash", one of the symptoms is an out of control hungry feeling. You might try boosting your proteins, and see if that doesn't help. Good sources of protein are cottage cheese, tuna, eggs, beef jerky, Greek yogurt and protein supplements. Weight gain can also be caused by water weight, have you eaten a really high sodium meal or snack? Foods that are high in sodium can cause you to retain water and that list includes stir fry (specifically soy sauce), canned soup, canned veggies, boxed dinner items like mac & cheese or any sort of "noodles with sauce", bottled salad dressing, frozen entrees, soda pop, pretzels, salted nuts, crackers, popcorn, etc etc. Add some exercise, increase your water intake (64 oz baseline and another 8oz for every 10 pounds you want to lose) and give it a couple of days to work itself out. Stay the course, you've just hit a mysterious bump in the diet road. Plateaus happen to every one, you just gotta deal with it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

If you are that hungry, I would suggest you up your intake of "healthy fats." Have some almonds. Instead of using fat free salad dressing, go with the oil and vinegar. Fats are what give give us that sated feeling when we eat and if you try to cut them down too low for the sake of weight loss it will be counter productive.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Chocoholic89

Try not to get discouraged. At least you are losing some. I too have just joined and really don't know how the site works. Is it learning to count calories? I have never done that but could learn or does the site calculate everything for us?
I also am thinking of walking as soon as all our ice and snow leave. That is really good to lose weight. not just watching what we eat, but the exercise as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,

Stay positive, your weight gain might be water weight that can come from a number of reasons. Make sure as almeeker said that you are drinking PLENTY of water and watching how much sodium your diet has.

About the hunger pains, maybe you can try eating more frequently, plan your meals so you have some healthy snacks in between. Like they have told you snacks with protein and healthy fats will probably make you feel more satisfied.

Hang in there, it gets bumpy but I am sure it can be overcome.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Codye
Try not to get discouraged. At least you are losing some. I too have just joined and really don't know how the site works. Is it learning to count calories? I have never done that but could learn or does the site calculate everything for us?
I also am thinking of walking as soon as all our ice and snow leave. That is really good to lose weight. not just watching what we eat, but the exercise as well.
Codye,
I am no expert on the site but it is basically about achieving a calorie balance that can get you to lose weight or maintain it. First, log in you current weight and height data and it will give you a range of how much you should weigh. After that go to Weight goal and input your desired weight and a date by which you want to reach it, try to keep your goal realistic, around 2-3 pounds per week. Then according to your lifestyle activity it gives you how much calories you normally burn and how much you need to cut back in order to achieve your goal.
Every day log in what you eat, EVERYTHING and also log in the actvities you do (I almost only log in the hours of sleep and any specific workout I do) and then you will see how much your calorie deficit is.
Its a matter of choosing the foods that achieve the amount of calories you need and that balances carbs-fat-protein in a healthy manner. Some people prefer low carb-high protein diets, others a 40-30-30, it really depends on your preference but in theory as long as you maintain your calorie deficit you should lose the weight.
And yes the walking will help you burn more calories and increase your calorie deficit if you wanted.
Hope this long rambling helps a little.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks main80, very helpful. Is this site free? I have noticed a fee on it.
Do they tell you also on this site what may be more helpful for you to be trying??
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Codye
Thanks main80, very helpful. Is this site free? I have noticed a fee on it.
Do they tell you also on this site what may be more helpful for you to be trying??
Hi,
Most of the site is free. The FitDay Premium is paid, I think it gives you more reports and the option of using it offline. But for the basic things you need it is free. Look around the food section and you will see that almost all types of foods are there also the activities.
If you haven't I suggest you log in the food you eat in a "normal" day for some days, then you will see where you are getting your calories from.
The site does not suggest you what to try, but I think you will find good information on the forums, as I told you before people follow different regimes and get results, so its a matter of finding something you feel comfortable with.
Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you all so much for replying!

I had actually considered PMS, but I'm directly mid-month, so likely ovulating, not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not (sorry if thats TMI!).

The sodium though could be the problem, I added probably way more salt than I really should have to a bland homemade chicken soup last night, didn't use enough garlic/onions and things apparently. I have been trying to keep sodium down but I'm having a harder time with that than cutting calories or fat. I hate drinking water, but I cut my iced tea in half with water. I have acid reflux disease and this makes it easier to drink. I've been slowly adding more and more water, I'm hoping I can get used to less and less flavour this way. Aspartame flares my reflux so I can't do diet drinks/sodas.

I checked my protein and I'm averaging about 40 grams a day. According to this protein calculator How Much Protein Do You Need? I should be having 88grams of protein a day for my body weight I'm a bit of a carb junkie, I've been told by a chiropractor before that I wasn't getting enough, so I'll have to look for a way to start adding a bit more. I only eat chicken, and can't stand fish/seafood, so maybe need to add more whole grains or nuts?

I've been thinking of getting a work out video, something I could do at home...until I get the nerve to join a class somewhere. I've been looking at bellydancing, something fun that would strengthen my core. I need a workout video that will make a difference, but thats fun and for an absolute beginner, I'm really out of shape. Some of these videos, there is no way in H e double hockey sticks I could contort myself that way! Could anyone reccomend one they like?

thank you so much for all of you answering, I apologize for the mini meltdown...after lunch I evened out a bit
Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Chocoholic89
I've been thinking of getting a work out video, something I could do at home...until I get the nerve to join a class somewhere. I've been looking at bellydancing, something fun that would strengthen my core. I need a workout video that will make a difference, but thats fun and for an absolute beginner, I'm really out of shape. Some of these videos, there is no way in H e double hockey sticks I could contort myself that way! Could anyone reccomend one they like?
I have a ton of workout videos, and if you are really out of shape like you say, then I might recommend Leslie Sansone, she has several "walking" videos. I have "Walk At Home", and even though I'm in pretty good shape I eventually break a sweat with that one. One of the things I really like about it is that you can choose to walk 12, 24, 36, 48 or 60 minutes (so you can work yourself up to a full hour). It was also cheap, like $8-10 at Walmart. Another good video is the 30-Day Shred, it's basic, but it will kick your saggy butt any day of the week, it has 3 different 30 minute workouts. Another thing I might recommend is try your library, mine has shelves and shelves of workout DVDs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.