Notices

an apple a day...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default an apple a day...

We all have probably heard the saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

I'm just sitting eating my apple and was thinking about back in the day, when I was a produce manager. Back then I didn't eat nearly the amount of fruit or veggies that I eat now. Anyway... back to the apple, I was wondering what everyones favorite apple is, and why.

I've tried many and must say that my favorite is a Gala apple. It's a firm, crisp apple (I can't stand a mealy apple) with a very sweet taste. Back in my Produce Mgr days it use to crack me up to see how many people would buy a Red Not-So-Delicious apple. It was by far the most popular. So what do you like?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
FitDay Member

Depends on what I'm doing with the apple. If I'm just going to eat it, I like Gala, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp or Courtland. If I'm going to make apple pie or apple crisp, it's Granny Smith or Winesap. If I'm making applesauce it's a combination of Courtland and Johnathan. If I'm making apple butter it's Courtland or Yellow Delicious.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I've never had a Courtland. Granny Smith does make a good apple pie. mmmm
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Honeycrisp, hands down.

Did you know that it is the first, and only, patented apple? It's got a great backstory if you have time to look it up.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I like Gala apples too, for the readily available variety, but when we go to the orchard to get freshed-picked, I like Braeburn for eating, Hampshire for cooking.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
FitDay Member

I've been eating a lot of apples lately. Mostly Gala Apples. They are quite good with peanut butter, too. I average two apples a day, so I should be able to keep the doctor away for twice as long.

Another apple that I tried recently for the first time was a Jonagold and I must say it's really good, too. Crisp texture with a sweet-tart flavor.

I have never had a Honeycrisp but want to give those a try as well.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
FitDay Member

I like Gala apples, the 'funsize' ones. Actually, an average apple got much bigger nowdays, and what is now funsize apple is a perfect 3.5oz fruit, whereas the standard one can be twice as big.
I also watch my food miles, so I will buy apples from France, but not from Brazil or New Zealand.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
FitDay Member

I don't really like apples . The only apple i force myself to eat is a yellow pretty soft and sweet apple which's name i don't now
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

I love all apples that are supercrisp and have a tart side to them. I HATE mushy apples. Around here we have a lot of crabapple trees and most of them are really good, but if you pick them before they are ripe they give you a stomachache. (It is still worth it!)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Probably a nice tart McIntosh, right off the tree. There are lots of pick your own orchards around here so that's always fun.

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.