Notices

LUNA bars

Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

Talking LUNA bars

Why are LUNA bars only "for women"? I'm a man and I admit that I enjoy them. I wish they were less than 180 calories, but there is 9g of protein, not a lot of fat, and many other vitamins.

Anyone else like LUNA bars? Or, what other (better?) alternatives are out there? I'm on a strength-training/weight loss plan.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Wink

LOL...I had to laugh at this post. A very "manly" friend of mine was totally addicted to these things and would take BOXES along on hunting/scouting trips. Then, one day, he read the label and...eek!!! For women?!?!? He doesn't eat them now, which is totally juvenile, especially for a 34 year old. It's just a marketing ploy.

The bars are great sources of fiber and protien and taste wonderful....they are calorie laden though!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
FitDay Member

Default luna vs. cliff

I tried a couple of Luna bars but found them to be way too sweet. I really like Cliff crunchy peanut butter bars. I also like "Anahola Granola", but I doubt they are national. (They are a locally made granola bar with additions of ginger, mango and I am sure are high in calories. Yet, if one is exercising a lot and they are natural and local, I don't see the harm in occasional consumption.) I am going to order some Cliff gel shots (name wrong) which are small packets of carbs, electrolytes and a little caffeine that are being used by long-distance runners and marathoners because of their lightweight nature and instantly available energy. In fact, they make jogging shorts with little pockets for gel shots.
Aloha

330 now 250 pounds
Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Alternatives to Luna Bars

I have just tried Special K Protein Meal Bars (in the chocolate peanut butter Flavor) which I located at Target in the weight management section of the store and think that they are extremely tasty and quite filling. They have 180 calories, with 50 of those from fat (6 grams), 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of dietary fiber. Another huge advantage is the cost - a double pack (12) was about $6.50, which make them much more reasonable than pretty much anything else I have tried, from specially manufactured dietary supplements to commercially available meal replacement bars.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

I prefer something like Be KIND. It has nuts, seeds, dried fruit, maybe some honey, that's it. Luna bars have a ton of sugar.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM
FitDay Member

The Bulider Bars by Cliff (also make Luna bars) are really good. Have about an equal amount of protein to carbs, with half that amount of fat. I had been eatting the Luna Breakfast bars, and find these to be a better alternative.