Community
Notices

Healthy shelf stable snacks?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Healthy shelf stable snacks?

One of my main challenges is letting myself get too hungry before I eat. It usually happens when I am too tired to make myself lunches and snacks in the morning for work. I have a 5 year old daughter and it's always a rush to get out the door in time to take her to school and drive myself to work.

My question is what snacks could I keep at work and in the car that are relatively healthy, but not so tempting that I'll eat the whole box or bag? I have self-control issues with snacks so I don't keep them around much, but then I blow it on crap because I'm so hungry. I need a middle ground. Help!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

nuts, trail mix, fresh fruit (unless the car gets hot), dried fruit, raisins & beef jerky are a few
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! The raisins are a good idea. I don't like raisins that much so I wont overeat them. I love trail mix and nuts so those are out. I will simply eat the entire bag. I've never tried beef jerky. Is there a brand that it is decent? Can you get turkey jerky or something?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

I think the one I like is called Jack Links
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Hi a few other ideas could be plain popcorn, dry cereal, banana chips, small tins of fruit with a ringpull so easy open, rice cakes, breadsticks, pots of sugar free jelly.
Also try carrying a pack of sugar free gum everywhere with you or a pack of sugar free mints to help. I find them a lifesaver when i think im hungry or dont want to be tempted by snacks that are around.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Almonds work for me; the fat and protien combo really keeps the hunger under control. I sometimes grab some when I come home also just as a preventative to shoveling junk in, so I can take the edge off and think about what a good choice might be. Portion control isn't as hard when they're not coated or salted or otherwise flavored, though YMMV.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 02-23-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Almonds work for me; the fat and protien combo really keeps the hunger under control. I sometimes grab some when I come home also just as a preventative to shoveling junk in, so I can take the edge off and think about what a good choice might be. Portion control isn't as hard when they're not coated or salted or otherwise flavored, though YMMV.
I eat almonds pretty much every day. I've really grown to love them.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I eat almonds pretty much every day. I've really grown to love them.
Me too! They ride around in my briefcase with me. Those and pistachios, but the latter are more of an evening snack, as they are messy and more time consuming.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
FitDay Member

I still make my own granola bars. Here's the basic recipe that I use although there are a million others on the internet. I usually use all chocolate chips or instead of those, use raisins or another dried fruit.

Peanut Butter Granola Mini Bars Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default snacks

There's a site called weelicious.com and it's really healthy (my son is on a diet of no preservatives or dyes because of ADHD- this is instead of medicine) and they have REALLY good snacks that are healthy and you can keep in the car in a ziplock or something. For the most part she uses honey instead of sugar and gives a few alternatives and you can email her or facebook her anytime (which I have, her name is Catherine) for any questions that you have! You can make most of them with your daughter!

Some of our favorites are:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Cookies
Orange Ginger Cookies
Whole Wheat Seed Crackers
Pumpkin Apple Muffins
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Graham Crackers
Carrot Snack Sticks
Brown Rice Krispie (Crisp-Wee) Treats

She also has great food and desserts and such on there and most of the recipes have a video of her and her son (and sometimes daughter) making the stuff together! I hope that this stuff helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.