View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
staceyalberta
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
I have been on a bread-baking kick lately on weekends. I am finding that I have a lot of conflicting feelings about it.

When I buy bread at the store, I get whole wheat.

When I make bread at home, and when I use nothing but whole wheat flour, it just doesn't get fluffy enough for sandwiches. It's good and we like it, but as far as being able to put slices of turkey on it, for example, well, it just doesn't rise that much. When I go half and half on the flour (wheat and white), it's perfect. Today I made three loaves and threw in flaxseed and sunflower seeds, 2/3 wheat flour, 1/3 white, and it's about 3" high.

So is it better to stay away from the preservatives, etc. in store bread by making it myself, or is it better to put up with them so I can get the whole grain?

I've heard something called vital wheat gluten will help, but I need to hunt for it at Whole Foods, as I can't find it around here in my local markets. And how does white wheat flour work?
i always added more gluten when i used to make my own bread. my grandma told me about it & i just did it & would used 100% whole wheat & it worked for me. i also heard that in the states you should be buying bread flour as well. for some reason your flour down there is different ~shrug~ up in canada it doesn't matter so i've been told.
~ Highest weight 2008 223 lbs
~ Feb 10/11 weight 167.2 lbs sigh
~ Feb 16/11 weight 158.8 lbs sigh
~ Feb 25/11 weight 157 lbs
~ Mar 9/11 weight 155.6 lbs
~ Goal 140 lbs
staceyalberta is offline   Reply With Quote