Notices

Loose skin question?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Loose skin question?

Hello everyone, I am quite new to the site and I think it is a fantastic tool for losing weight and getting fit. I weighed myself for the first time in months just after New Year and was shocked to find I was 203lbs!

Since then I have been following a sensible healthy eating plan and excercising moderately and I am happy to report that I weighed myself this morning and had dropped 7lbs. It's a great start but I expect now it will drop to 1-2lbs per weeks and I am happy with that. I have set a short term goal rather than a huge long term one, I aim to be 189lbs by the end of February.

My question is, when (not if!) I go on to lose 40+ pounds, how do I ensure that I don't have a lot of excess skin flopping around? Are there any excercises/tips/supplements to prevent this?

Good luck to everyone on the thread in acheiving thier goals, I just love reading the success stories and thinking that one day, it will be me!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Loose skin

Having loose skin after weight loss is determined by several factors - age, amount of weight loss, and genetics being the most significant. If you are young (20's or early 30's) your skin is more elastic and can bounce back better than an older person. Some people have thicker skin that has more elasticity, so they will tighten up better (this is the genetics part) and if you have lost 100+ pounds, it is likely that some loose skin will be present.

Losing weight slowly may help with the apprearance of loose skin because your skin will have time to keep pace with gradual weight loss (versus sudden weight loss) and exercising and building some muscle will also help with the appearance of your skin.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for that laurae. I know three people who had gastric bypass and lost lots of weight rapidly and they all had the baggy skin problem. I think your right about the slow weight loss and exercise and that is exactly what I am aiming for. A wee bit of loose skin at the end might be a small price to pay for losing all of the excess fat that I am carrying now! Thanks again and good luck to you too!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
FitDay Member

I agree that losing a large amt of weight at an earlier age reduces loose skin. That is why rapid weight gain due to meds, injury at a later age is more frightful.

Unfortunately, meds and injuiry create quick weight gain in the middle age. Causing a bigger barrier to quick weight loss for the 40-65 yo's who need it the most.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM
FitDay Member

If I knew the answer I would surely help you but I am suffering from exactly what you are talking about! I have lost 160 lbs in the last year. I have decided that at some point I will just have to have surgery unless some miracle elastic cream comes along I am happy the fat is gone so I can deal with the skin.... for now.

Don't let the thought of loose skin keep you from doing what you need to now and that is lose the weight first. You can worry about that later.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by showmenow
If I knew the answer I would surely help you but I am suffering from exactly what you are talking about! I have lost 160 lbs in the last year. I have decided that at some point I will just have to have surgery unless some miracle elastic cream comes along I am happy the fat is gone so I can deal with the skin.... for now.

Don't let the thought of loose skin keep you from doing what you need to now and that is lose the weight first. You can worry about that later.
160lbs in a year is a massive achievement and you should be very, very proud of yourself! I won't let the thought of a bit of loose skin put me off, in fact I feel that nothing will put me off this time.I am finally facing up to the truth and not kidding myself about my weight and the implications of being so heavy at my height (5'2). I am so glad I found this site, reading stories like yours is such an inspiration. Well done to you, a little loose skin is a small price to pay for shedding all of that unhealthy weight.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

I've lost 96 pounds over the last seven months and I'm dealing with loose skin as well. I think I might be one of the lucky ones though... I've noticed my stomach skin slowly shrinking over time. I've been on a plateau of around 240lbs for the past month, but I've dropped enough "width" so that I'm now cinching my belt 2 holes tighter than I was before.

I don't think someone losing 40 pounds would have a huge problem with excess skin... I think its more a problem for people who lose 75lbs or more.

Last edited by mfagerstrom; 01-16-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 AM
FitDay Member

Read Eat to Live.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

There is a laser procedure that can improve skin elasticity and tighten it up - not sure if it works with a lot of excess skin. I'm 42, have lost 45 lbs over the past year and I can handle loose skin on the legs, stomach etc... it's under the chin that's bothering me. I still have another 80 lbs to go and I'm really worried about the wattle...
Julieann
Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

I've lost about 40 lbs and except for my lower stomach, I don't have a problem with loose skin. I think it's more from pregnancy than weight loss though. When I was pregnant, I looked like I stuffed a basketball under my shirt .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.