Notices

2727 calories in shimp pasta

Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Exclamation 2727 calories in shimp pasta

How in the world does the Cheesecake Factory stuff that many calories, (78g saturated fat) and 1737 mg of sodium in what should be a healthy dish

I just picked up the 2011 version of Eat This Not That and as with years past I was just shocked at how badly restaurants can mangle a healthy menu idea:

Chopped salad at TGI Fridays: 1800 calories
Veggie sub at Blimpie: 1180 calories
Chicken marsala at California Pizza Kitchen: 1412 calories
Spinach and mushroom omelette at IHOP: 980 calories

Yikes!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

This is why I really don't care to eat out much anymore. If I can't find the nutritional info on the web first so I can plan what to get it really annoys me. I take my best guess as to what is somewhat reasonable in calories and fat and box up half the meal when it arrives, just to be safe. Unless I bring my own dressing (which I have) I usually avoid salads as often they are as many or more calories than some entree's.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

I know. If you look at the nutrition at every restaurant (which I did sometimes before I go there), almost all the dishes are above 1000 cals.

In November I travel to San Fransisco and have breakfast at Ihop. They listed the calories right next to the item. I thought that is interesting. And it does help me to make good choice at that time. Most of the items though, way over 1000 cals. I have to choose from very limited light menu. which range from 280 -500 cals.

I wish all restaurants put it all on the table like this IHOP. That would help lots of people to be more careful when they make the decision what to eat.
Mai
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

I was a Panera Bread fanatic. But now no way!! For a place that tries to give off a healthy vibe, I was shocked to see what some of their menu items really consisted of.

Hubby still isn't getting 'it". He keeps bringing up restaurants, and asking " you can have something from there, can't you?" The answer is always no.

I have come to only trust my cooking. After my goal is met and I have to up my calories, I'm sure I'll eat out once in a while, but for now, not gonna happen.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

I do what Michael does -- if I eat out for a special occasion (or for work, as my job often requires dinners to hobnob) I just eat half of what's on my plate (and immediately box the rest), always get dressing on the side, and try to avoid anything that has a sauce/cheese topping. Further, I am not ashamed of asking the waiter for special things for the meal (i.e. substitutions or different ways of cooking -- that is, baked or grilled instead of fried, for example).

I've often been pleasantly surprised, as well, if I go out to eat and just say "Hey, can I just have a small portion of grilled fish (or chicken, if they don't have fish) and your veggie of the day?" -- if it's anywhere but a fast-food or quick-service joint, they often don't mind doing that, and I feel like I can estimate the calories better. Sometimes the people I am with give me funny looks, but my health is more important than the passing awkward moment. If they ask I simply smile and let them know I'm on a weight loss program, and the awkwardness passes. In fact, I've had a few people say "Good for you!"
Old 02-18-2011, 03:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by williamscouple
I was a Panera Bread fanatic. But now no way!! For a place that tries to give off a healthy vibe, I was shocked to see what some of their menu items really consisted of.

Hubby still isn't getting 'it". He keeps bringing up restaurants, and asking " you can have something from there, can't you?" The answer is always no.

I have come to only trust my cooking. After my goal is met and I have to up my calories, I'm sure I'll eat out once in a while, but for now, not gonna happen.
I hear 'ya! Though there is generally "something" that is fairly reasonable at most places. I think Panera Bread actually has some OK choices, IIRC. And you can always pack up half the portion when the meal arrives (which I find much easier than once I've started to mow down). Even the fast food joints generally have a few choices that won't bust the calorie quota for the day.

But, of course, abstinence is an option as well. In my last weight loss journey I recall, three weeks into a zero calorie water fast, sitting in a McDonald's watching the rest of my family dig into Big Macs and fries. Didn't bother me a bit .

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I was actually just talking about this with a coworker of mine...I'm simply amazed at how unhealthy some of the supposed healthy items are!

A chicken salad with 800 calories? How? A 3oz. Chicken Breast doesn't have that many calories, and lettuce has almost nothing...You'd think they'd have to fry the lettuce to get it up that high!

Seriously though...I love to eat out, and it's a major struggle for me to sometimes abstain from going out. I love Applebee's (they have calories next to certain items...the ones they don't I'm sure are not good, lol) and I have an app on my phone that I can look through for calorie contents too for certain restaurants.

I'm simply amazed though that Shrimp pasta could have anywhere near 2727 calories, lol
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Although I like having the convenience of scoping ahead on a site that lists the nutritional information, I get frustrated easily with it. First, like you all, I'm floored that the meals are so bad for you, but also because there is no way to tell how the nutritional content changes if you add or subtract things. Haven't we all learned to make modifications to make what we order better for us? Suppose I order a chicken caesar salad with no dressing? There's no way to tell.

Every once in a while, I'll come across a site that lets you "build your own" meal and adjusts the nutritional info accordingly (Moe's used to be one but I haven't checked since they changed their menu). But overall, that's one particular pet peeve I have with the whole eating out ordeal...and don't get me started on not knowing what's in the food. The Ted's Montana Grill site is pretty thorough as to how to ask for your food to be prepared if you are trying to avoid fat, too many calories, or salt, now that I think about it.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by williamscouple

I know I pretty much have to swear off their sandwiches but a couple of their salads aren't too awful bad. There is an Asian sesame chicken salad for about 400 calories that I love. I normally keep my lunches at or around 300 calories so its not too off the beaten path.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I do like to eat at restaurants, for a variety of reasons (laziness being among them). I have found that, in general, the higher-end the restaurants tend to use a lot less excess calorie loading (although that isn't always true).

I think one of the reasons the mid-level restaurants use so much fat, salt, and sugar is to make up for lower quality food. All of those things are both flavor enhansers and brain soothers. So while the bottom line on the check might be lower at Cheesecake factory than at Chez fancy-pants, your bottom line will just get bigger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.