Notices

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

OK, by overwhelming demand (well, at least a couple people have asked), I present the Ask an (ex) 400 + Pound Guy Anything thread.

So, go for it and I'll give you an answer. If I don't know the answer, I'll make it up (kidding) .

Regards,
Michael

PS Before anyone asks, there are a couple of questions I can't answer:

Q) What the heck is wrong with you that made you unable to eat normally and you ended up being "super obese"?
A) I wish I knew.

Q) The times (this is number three) that you got serious about losing "all that weight", what flipped that switch in your brain?
A) I wish I knew.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

This is just something that has been at the back of my mind for a while: Are you Michael from Biggest Loser?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mhibdon
This is just something that has been at the back of my mind for a while: Are you Michael from Biggest Loser?
Ha ha--nope, and I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I've not ever actually even watched the show. I have seem some clips and I do check out their web site once in a while. I just thought the avatar was kinda cool.

It does go to show how quickly one can lose weight if that's their full time job. Those of us that have to do it while living a normal life have to take things a little slower. And you know, I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Thanks for asking!

Regards,
(Not THAT) Michael
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Oh! Okay! I went on a BL marathon over the summer so I was like (pardon my teenager slang) "OMG NO WAY!" But cha, now that that has been sorted out:

How do you feel that your relationship with food and clothes has differed/changed as you've lost weight?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

What has been the most challenging aspect of your weight loss battle? And when did it really "click" for you that your goal was really possible? I know for me it used to seem so grim, so bleak. I always felt trapped in my own body, like I was doomed to live out my life like this. When did you really start to realize that this change was possible?

Also, what about the mental aspect of losing weight? And by that I mean, trying to get your mental image of your self to match up with the new body? I know when I lost weight a few years back, I still thought of myself, and saw myself, as a fat guy. Even though I wasn't. I know that's something I'm going to have to deal with again.

Sorry for the lengthy interview.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Micheal,
I know this is the ask thread. But i have read your post on the other thread and really get motivate to see you stats. It is amazing. I want to share with you some of my strategy.
This is a hard journey. I felt like I in a war against myself. I have to be on guard at all time (make sure I am not eat too much, and get some work out). Otherwise the bad side of me will take over and make me fat and sad.
Ever since I noticed that it so easy to gain 10 pounds and it is so hard to lose 1 pound. I am always on some kind of diet. I hope some day I will find the key to be slim without dieting.
Sometimes on my journey, I felt tired of dieting. I decide to maintain instead. Then when I am ready, I will diet again. That is my way of keeping myself not getting bigger. It seems ok. I haven't gain more weight for 10 years but I didn't lose either . This year I plan to put it to an end. Like I said, I sleep with one eye open, LOL.
Keep up the good work. You must look very different now. Here is my question: How do you feel right now? During this journey, do you ever feel struggles? craving for forbiden food?
Mai
Old 02-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

When do you plan on incorporating weight training into your program? What type or program do you plan on doing?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I have a question, probably seems simple enough but why isnt my number going down? I watch, I sweat, I drink (water that is)...I just quit smoking last month, I don't want to get any bigger, I'm upset with myself for getting to where I am right now. I don't know what else to do. I measured myself, a week later I measured again, yep I lost a half inch, IN MY NECK!! frustrated. Good thing I have sense of humor, I know if I could just start seeing something happen, I would be more into doing more. I workout no less then 30 minutes a day...most times its about an hour. I'm trying to learn more about foods and what and when to eat. can you help me? Hopefully I will be able to see if you posted something, seems I cant find any replies to any of my other cries for help. I did add you as a contact hoping that I would be able to get some feedback.. thanks so much. L.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
When do you plan on incorporating weight training into your program? What type or program do you plan on doing?
An excellent question, Mike. And I had in mind to ask you about that in the near future.

One of my goals for this weekend is to clean off the weight bench and get it ready for use.

Really, due to hauling the excess baggage around for so long and my daily walk my legs are really not bad. The old upper body, though, well...I'd def. be getting sand kicked in my face at the beach!

So, considering a finicky lower back and a bothersome left shoulder (some sort of annoying nerve probably around the should blade area) where would you start?

I have a complete set of dumb bells from 1lb up to 25lbs, a straight bar, a curl bar and a couple hundred pounds of cast iron plates. My bench has incline, decline and I have a lat pull-down attachment as well.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Oh! Okay! I went on a BL marathon over the summer so I was like (pardon my teenager slang) "OMG NO WAY!" But cha, now that that has been sorted out:

How do you feel that your relationship with food and clothes has differed/changed as you've lost weight?
Great questions. Well, I have a lot more clothes now (mostly out of my closet). Back along, it was either the "blue" 6x T-shirt or the "green 6x T-shirt". Honestly, I like to wear nice clothes, something that's tough to do when you're really big. I may even go back to my nice button up shirts and ties when I get down to "Large" as I have a pretty decent wardrobe and a couple nice suits.

Now, as to the food thing, that's not as clear cut. I honestly don't know that it ever will be. Remember, I'm nowhere near done--I still have 100 pounds to go to hit my "healthy" weight of 175 (though I realize that may not be feasible due to excess left over skin that won't ever go away w/o having it removed).

I know I have a problem with food and probably always will have. I refuse to engage in "all or nothing thinking" and I have been able to deal with my monthly "day off" and get right back on the usual plan. That said, I have simply made the decision to totally abstain from my worst trigger foods--sweets and bakery items. While I "think" I could, say eat just one Krispy Kreame, why tempt fate?

I do still get urges to overeat sometimes--really, it's not quite been 10 months since I ate anything and everything I wanted. Perhaps in time they stop. They certainly have subsided to a large extent. Time will tell.

Thanks for asking!

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.