Notices

Vegetarian Basics and Benefits

Old 02-08-2011, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Vegetarian Basics and Benefits

I have dropped almost 60 lbs in a period of 18 weeks and one of the major keys to my success so far has been the reduction of fatty meats and many fat based products or foods cooked in fat. Notice, I said reduction, not total elimination. I am a believer in keeping an open mind, (no Albie has a hole in his head jokes please ), and as such, I like to read up on many topics and make my own decisions regarding the accuracy and utility of the content. Back where I come from we call that “sorting out the fly sh*t from the pepper.”

Anyway, I have been visiting a cool website called Vegetarians in Paradise Vegetarian/Vegan Los Angeles Internet Magazine and it seems to me the folks out there seem to know a thing or two about the ins and outs and the benefits of being a vegetarian or at least making some really good vegetarian substitutions in your diet to enhance your health.

So you might want to go there and check it out and let me know what you think.

Two articles that they have written, Vegetarian Basics 101, Vegetarians in Paradise/Vegetarian Basics 101/Vegetarian Diet, and The Road to Vegetaria, Vegetarians in Paradise/Vegetarian Meals/Vegetarian Diet/Vegetarian Alternatives/Vegetarian Food Choices, have been recognized as resources by the USDA for inclusion in its USDA Food and Nutrition Information Center Vegetarian Resource List

I just thought I’d share what I found with the group. Feel great and self-educate! Rock on everybody!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 PM
FitDay Member

Am slightly meat-addicted but keen to start having at least a few vegetarian days in the week - excellent resource, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

I became lacto-ovo vegetarian back in November, and am running out of good recipes... I am a VERY good cook, but need to learn how to cook without meat... thanks for the site!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
FitDay Member

I don't remember that guy's name, but he is fairly famous. He did a lot of research and came to a conclusion. He puts it in 7 words:
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

The 'eat food' part means try not to eat too many chemicals in your food, basically 'don't eat anything your grandma wouldn't recognise'. Not too much - don't overeat, humans need just a few handfuls of food a day, look at the Japanese, how small sushi is
Mostly plants - the vegetarian-er, the better. Vegan would be best.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

The guy you're talking about is Michael Pollan. He wrote the book "Food Rules" and some other stuff concerning the safety of food in America.