Notices

Any vegans or raw foodists?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
FitDay Member

Default Any vegans or raw foodists?

Hey im new to the forum, I was wondering if there were any other vegans or raw foodists on this site. If so, I was hoping you might share some of your favorite foods/recipes that have helped you to lose weight.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 PM
FitDay Member

Default Well, I Am Getting There!

At 54, I am starting a new journey. My first 50 was traumatic and much was because of my weight. I was made fun of by family members especially and those on the outside of family. I never thought that I could measure up to anything. But, one morning, in late December 2009, I woke up with this attitude: I am going to take back my health. I have not looked back since.

I started the 100-Day Veggie Challenge to motivate myself. I am not eating eggs, cheese, butter, oils, milk, salt, sugar, sodas, breads for now. Maybe later for that. What am I eating? I am eating beans, large salads loaded with veggies, brown rice, almond milk. It is very cold and this helps me to stay warm and filled up. When I eat raw, I feel better and notice many changes in my body.

I shall keep you posted if you would like?!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

I was vegan for 4 years as an adolescent. (I originally let go of it due to family issues.) But I am returning to it beginning tomorrow. As a vegan, I was always at a healthy weight. After I quit, I became overweight. Veganism is one of the healthiest lifestyles. Cutting out saturated fats, meats, and dairy products really keeps the weight down along with bringing in all the healthy proteins, fruits, and veggies.
I always look up recipes on google, and I've found numerous healthy vegan recipes!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

I've been vegan for a little over two years. I've been starting to learn some raw recipes, thought I don't ever expect to go completely raw. I make my own Lara bars (equal parts nuts + dates, plus some cinnamon, blended up in the food processor, kneaded like dough, then shaped into a big block and cut into bars). I'm not overweight, but I'd like to maximize my running performance. Eat to Live and The Thrive Diet are both excellent resources for those who would like to lose weight on a vegan program. The latter I recommend especially for those who are active--I can't abide by a "no snacks" rule, which the former does suggest.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

I have been a "raw food lurker" for almost a year now. I did try the 100% raw food, and actually lost several pounds when I was on it. Unfortunately, I did not stick to it because of family pressures, but I did stay on it long enough to realize the benefits of it. I don't plan to return to 100% raw, but I am making an effort to incorporate alot of what I have learned into my lifestyle. I like especially the Green Smoothies, that Victoria Butenko encourages. I bought a small dehydrator, and have been making flax seed crackers, and also making a spinach/avocado dip for them. I want to stick to a 2000 calorie per day program for the rest of my life, a 60% raw food program works for that as long as I don't incorporate dairy. I may not lose a bunch of weight immediately, but in the long run it will benefit me. Thanks for letting me share!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Are any of you runners? I went vegan at the urging of a friend who was diagnosed with polymyocitis (body attacking large muscle groups, so constant pain). However, I have MAJOR allergies to almost the entire nut family. So my protein was limited to beans, soy and bioidentical manufactured protein.

Weight totally FELL off me - BUT... I am a 3-4x a week runner, and I started having MAJOR right knee pain and swelling. I could not walk up and down steps, and was living on Aleve, which is like walking around with a time bomb strapped to your back. I was back and forth to my orthopedist 2 or 3 times a month, xrays, physical therapy, running evaluations, you name it - and he could not figure out what was wrong with my knee. One day LUCKILY I got to see a different doctor who is also an avid runner, and we just sat and talked about LIFESTYLE. I mentioned that I was vegan and it was like a lightbulb came on over his head - I was continually tearing down, and didn't have enough protein to recover and repair adequately. VERY reluctantly, he talked me into going back to meat, just for a week, to see what happened. Within 7 days - I kid you not - my knee was fine. So, long story short, I'd LOVE to go back to it, but without nuts - is there anything I can load up on to MATCH lean meat protein?

My doctor (I kept the second doctor, who is now a running mentor and friend as well) is absolutely NOT in favor of ANY type of "restrictive" diet or meal plan, so I have ZERO medical support. Any thing you guys could suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dnadjkovic
Are any of you runners? I went vegan at the urging of a friend who was diagnosed with polymyocitis (body attacking large muscle groups, so constant pain). However, I have MAJOR allergies to almost the entire nut family. So my protein was limited to beans, soy and bioidentical manufactured protein.

Weight totally FELL off me - BUT... I am a 3-4x a week runner, and I started having MAJOR right knee pain and swelling. I could not walk up and down steps, and was living on Aleve, which is like walking around with a time bomb strapped to your back. I was back and forth to my orthopedist 2 or 3 times a month, xrays, physical therapy, running evaluations, you name it - and he could not figure out what was wrong with my knee. One day LUCKILY I got to see a different doctor who is also an avid runner, and we just sat and talked about LIFESTYLE. I mentioned that I was vegan and it was like a lightbulb came on over his head - I was continually tearing down, and didn't have enough protein to recover and repair adequately. VERY reluctantly, he talked me into going back to meat, just for a week, to see what happened. Within 7 days - I kid you not - my knee was fine. So, long story short, I'd LOVE to go back to it, but without nuts - is there anything I can load up on to MATCH lean meat protein?

My doctor (I kept the second doctor, who is now a running mentor and friend as well) is absolutely NOT in favor of ANY type of "restrictive" diet or meal plan, so I have ZERO medical support. Any thing you guys could suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You might try looking into hemp protein powder,I have been using it for about a week or so it really gives me a boost after my workouts.I went to hemp because there is no pesticides ,artifical flavors,or anything bad in it.The one I went with was made by nutiva.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

I have been vegan for over a year and was vegetarian for MANY years before that....I would highly recommend VEGA products, especially the Whole Food Health Optimizer protein powder - I make a smoothie with it almost everyday. It has all the essential vitamins and tons of extras that are SO beneficial. It was created by a vegan triathlete...also you can sign up for the Thrive in 30 free program for tips and guidance.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

Would love to become vegan, but I'm just not sure about how to obtain enough protein each day. I recently purchased a soy-protein, plant based "meat-like" product by a company called "Gardein". I think the product is called Chick-n Scallopini. Obviously, there is no meat in them, but I will be sauteeing them in a little Earth Balance and adding mushrooms and some vegatable stock to them and thicken the stock with some wheat flour. If I can find good, non-GMO plant proteins, I might be willing to switch from being a meat eater to becoming vegan. I would love to try some recipes with tofu in them, too.

Last edited by StrongWilld; 02-16-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I'm not strictly a vegan but I eat alot of vegan meals. I recently got a cookbook from the library "Great Chefs Cook Vegan" by Linda Long. Interesting recipes that kick it up a notch for food that looks and tastes restaurant quality. Usually a bit complicated to make but worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.