Notices

Newb needs a hand.......

Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Newb needs a hand.......

Hi everyone, been lurking here and using Fitday off and on for awhile now. Just got serious again and joined a gym and have been working out every day for an hour + a day. I have Psoriatic Arthritis so I have to keep the weights sensible. 20-25 min on bike 30-35 min intensive circuit training moving from one machine to another instead of resting between sets. Then if I have anything left i hit the treadmill for as long as I can stand 8-15 or so min. Started this the last week of Jan and have lost a total of 5 pounds...dissapointing as I have been working hard on eating right and counting calories...I am 56 year old male 275 lbs and have been eating 1600 + or - a day. The reason for this flurry of activity is new medication working wonderfully and enabling me to move again. Hoping the more experienced ones here can point out what I am doing wrong???? Thanks for any info in advance...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Steve,

We all lose weight at a different pace, but 5 #'s isn't bad. I personally would consider cutting back some on your workouts. 7 days a week can burn you out quickly.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

01gt4.6, thanks for the reply. I am not pushing the workouts to the limit everyday, just trying to keep up the activity level as I have been inactive for almost 10 years. Maybe I can switch off to other activities to mix it up and keep moving. Is 1600 calories a good amount for my weight or should it be less. What is the best way to figure that out? And how often does it have to change when I do lose?? steve
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey Steve--welcome to the forums!

I've done 1500 for the past nine months now and the loses have been fairly steady. My true calorie average during that time is 1580 as I do have the monthly "day off". We're at about the same weight right now, you and I so one would think our rate of loss might be similar (though I am 10 years younger). I'm averaging around 2.75 pounds a week pretty consistently, though I'll have a 5lb week, then perhaps a 1lb, then a 2lb, then maybe another 5lb one.

I really don't work out yet--just my 5 day a week 1.5 mile walk in 25 minutes or so and some WiiFit on the weekends and other house/yard activities.

So, other than making sure you are brutally honest in logging your food, upping your water intake and perhaps mixing up your workouts, I don't have a lot to offer. I guess you might look at your calorie mix--that can make a difference in some people. I try to keep, on average, a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix which seems to work pretty well for me.

Do keep us posted as to your progress.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member

Hi mecompco, appreciate your reply. I did mix up my routine today and did 30 min on a recumbent bike then went onto one of the raquetball courts in the gym and lobbed a ball against the wall for another 30 minutes. Worked up a good sweat and it felt good on my bad shoulder...I will knock it down to 1500 and use the 40/30/30 ratio and see what happens. I lost the 5 pounds the first week and actually have gained 2 back this week which bums me out but I know it happens. I am also looking around for the Wii fit also to mix things up some more.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Steve,

Just a personal account from me, I won't claim to have any
knowledge of exercise or nutrition.

For me striking a 200KCal deficit for a weekly average
worked well; trying to reduce food intake drastically while
exercising lots had me tired, frustrated, and not really losing
weight fast enough, either.

A slow but steady average deficit, mixed up of days w/ spikes
(allowing myself 300 over), and making sure that the intake
remained irregular (no patterns), w/ a variety of exercise, HIIT
on both weights and running, cross trainer & rower, w/ weights
proper I lost almost 20Kg in just under a year, gained muscle and am
overall pretty fit and happy atm. Just hang in there. W/ my
own regime I lost an average of only 400g a week, but found
the lifestyle change doable.

Cheers
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

I'm going to second "watch the macros" and make sure that after your workout sessions you plan for a protein boost within the first hour, tuna, protein shake, protein bar, steak, eggs, something with 10-20 grams of protein. That way your calories are going directly to repair the muscles you've been working. I'm also going to second the water intake, 64 oz baseline and another 8 oz for every 10 lbs you want to lose.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 AM
FitDay Member

I am no expert, but that 2 pound gain may be muscle gain which is good. Muscle weighs more but takes up less room. Keep up the good work and good luck.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Appreciate all the input everyone! I have been on a diet most of my life and it has just gotten all jumbled up what works and what doesn't...so all of this input will help "point " me to where I want to be.

@almeeker...hear you on the water, should start tracking that to to watch it closer...any protein shake ideas? certain brand preference? sounds like a good idea after any workout, I can make it a snack at the same time...

@gingers53...that makes sense, took all my measurements last night to be able to watch them ...should have done that in the beginning...

@diggn...mixing it up sounds good, like 01gt4.6 mentioned, I dont want to burn out and head for the couch again!!!!!!

BTW......
Jan 7 280.0
Feb 17 272.6 7.4 down....its a start...