Notices

Meat Portions

Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Question Meat Portions

I have just started tracking my food intake and have seen meat nutrition labeld as cooked protions, raw portions and just nothing. Is there a standard and can you convert from 4oz of raw meat to 1.5oz of cooked? If the meat is grilled it will cut some of the fat but how do I account for that? Any ideas would be a great help.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by jtr123
I have just started tracking my food intake and have seen meat nutrition labeld as cooked protions, raw portions and just nothing. Is there a standard and can you convert from 4oz of raw meat to 1.5oz of cooked? If the meat is grilled it will cut some of the fat but how do I account for that? Any ideas would be a great help.
If I'm grilling or cooking w/spray, I use the raw values.

If frying w/butter or oil, I use the fried values.

FitDay is pretty good about having various cooking methods represented.

Of course, you could always use the raw values and add any calories added in cooking seperately (butter, oil, etc.) if you want more control over things.

Personally, my thinking is that calorie counts are, at best, an informed guesstimate so I really don't lose any sleep over the thought that I might be off a bit one way or the other.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
FitDay Member

Personally I always use the raw values and add in any extra calories for other stuff. I don't add fat to any of my cooking, I use calorie free butter spray or use the grill or oven to bake. I season with light salt and mrs dash, garlic powder and other various herbs. I don't have a scale so I usually use the weight on package and use my best estimate to divide into 4 oz portions.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the input, I agree that the calorie counts are probably a good baseline, but not exact. I have set up several custom foods that are probably exact. Sounds like you have had great results from your work, congratulations and keep it going.