Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
How do I calculate how much I need to exercise? >

How do I calculate how much I need to exercise?

Notices

How do I calculate how much I need to exercise?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default How do I calculate how much I need to exercise?

I am just starting out here... I have been planning this for far too long. I have found my biggest obstacle is not enough exercise. Please, if anyone could help me figure out how much exercise I need to do to lose weight. Is there a mathematical formula.. did I miss this when I registered and set up my profile? Any guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks, Shelz36
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Well, 3,500 calories equals a pound roughly. So if you burned 500 cals a day working out and eat a balanced diet you will loose 1 lb a week. you can lose more by either doing more exercise or eating less. Be careful not to eat too little. I think most recommend not getting less than 1500 calories per day.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

Glad to hear you are ready to exercise more. Try increasing things a little bit at a time. For example, if you walk 30 minutes a day, try running for five minutes of that time. Or pick up the pace, add some hills... anything to make it a bit harder each time. The only mathematical formula I have ever seen is how to calculate your heart rate. As far as how much -- do what your body can handle, and allow time to rest and heal. I found working with a personal trainer helps.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Rule of thumb I learned in my nutrition class is everyone should exercise 30 mins a day (but start off slow and work your way up). To lose weight you need to exercise 60 mins a day. To maintain weight loss you need to exercise 90 minutes a day. This can be as simple as taking a walk and doing some strength training or calisthenics in your home.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default find a fun activity

It is great that you have resolved to get more exercise! As far as losing pounds sprostymk pretty much nailed it. Burn 3500 more calories than you take in and you will burn off a pound of fat. But exercise has lots of other benefits: Building muscle (lean weight) and in many cases you will burn a few more calories. Increase your endurance and stamina and you will enjoy your waking hours more and sleep better, and better sleep will help you continue to lose weight. One of the best suggestions I have ever heard is to find an exercise or activity you really like to do. It may take a while, so try lots of things. I, personnally, hate working out in gyms, but I love being outdoors so walking, running, biking, skiing (as you might guess by my screen name) keep me active. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Some questions for you...

Have you been fit and athletic in the past? Do you have any equipment at home? Do you have access to a gym? What do you like to do?

Many people start out with walking, because it eases people into regular activity that they can sustain... then build from there.

Most people recommend you do something for at least 20 minutes, between 3 and 5 times per week to start. You'll want to gradually increase that to 45 minutes, then 60 minutes. The more activities you find that you enjoy, the better. It's good if you aren't bored with your exercise. You'll be doing it for the rest of your life!

Strength training will help you meet your goals quicker than with just 'cardio' or aerobic activities. One resource I recommend is the Strong Women books by Miriam Nelson of Tufts University.

(I know people will get tired of me making that recommendation - but they're really good for people who are new to weight training. Good stuff.)
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default thanks for the info everyone.

All of your replies help to keep me motivated and are also full of the information that I needed. I'm walking dogs. It was just a quick 15 minute walk, but now I'm going to bump it up to 30 minutes (as long as its not too cold out) And I'm doing activities with the dogs now too. (throwing sticks and then the dogs chase them) The dogs alone are inspiring, they are crazy for exercise and they love it! Thanks again for your info and encouragement.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh, dog walking is a great one! The enthusiam of dogs for being outside and active is infectious (as it seems you are finding out). Some day I would love to have a pup to run with. When I see folks walking/running/playing with their dogs it always makes me smile.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
FitDay Member

For weight loss it is essential that you incorporate strength training as well as cardio. I would aim for 45 minutes of cardio 3-5 times a week and strength training 2-3 times