Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
FitDay Member

Default Newbie

Hi. I just recently started using fitday thanks to a friend recommending it and I am loving it. It makes keeping track of everything much easier. Anyway I am 33 years old, a wife, and mom of 3. I guess i got so used to saying this over the years that i forgot about me...and it shows!!!! So I am taking my life back. It's time to put myself first so that i can be better for everyone around me.

I recently began using P90X videos and aim for everyday...that's a workout. I also joined a kickboxing class (attend twice a week) and joined the fitness center at my school, where i have to put in on average 100 minutes per week. I haven't changed my diet too much other than cutting out junk food, fast food, and eating less. My question is....does anyone know if all this exercise will help or should i consider changing my eating habits more? I currently weigh 197lbs. but was about 215 not that long ago. I am 5ft 6in so my goal weight is 130lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Aradwan, welcome to the forums! It sounds like you are making progress, and congrats on busting through that 200 mark in the right direction .

As to your question, I have heard two things over and over again. The first is that you cannot "out-exercise" a bad diet, and the second is that fitness is 80% diet and 20% exercise. It sounds like what you are doing is working for you now, though, but if you hit a plateau, your diet may be the first thing you want to take a look at.

I believe that making small changes over time can be very helpful. If there are some little things you can tweak in your diet, so much the better, but everyone has to find what works for them; if you're in an eating pattern you hate, you won't stay with it. Do what you can and try different things; you'll find out what works and what doesn't.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to FitDay! When it comes to P90X, if you truly "Bring It" and push play daily, that should be all you need for now. I did what you are doing, I cut out the junk food and fast food. My diet wasn't 100% but I'm happy with my P90X results.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome aboard, I'm also the mother of 3, we moms tend to let the fam take over our whole lives don't we? Good for you taking on P90X, I've not tackled that one yet, but understand it's quite a workout. I agree with cjohnson, in making the necessary changes in small steps, it sticks better that way. You're goal is 85 pounds from your starting weight, and I hate to say this, but you probably can't get there on exercise alone, so you might as well start looking for little ways to clean up the diet. Besides as the mom, you're probably in charge of the family diet, and what's good for you is just as good for the rest of them. In our house I changed everyone over from squishy white bread to 35 calorie/slice whole grain bread, regular pasta to whole grain pasta, margarine to spray butter, brown rice instead of white, low fat yogurt instead of pudding cups, fresh fruit instead of cookies, trail mix instead of chips, cereal with 10g or less per serving, no mac & cheese unless is has a green veg stirred into it, etc etc etc. You get the idea. Mind you, I've had to listen to some complaining, okay more than "some", but now that that they gotten used to it, they are much more likely to make better food decisions on their own - seriously.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-07-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Wow!!! Very impressive weight loss to almeeker. I have been thinking about the positive benefits that my family can reap as well. So i realize that I do need to slowly introduce healthier meals. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely start putting some to practice. Thanks again.

Last edited by aradwan; 02-08-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie for your comment and congrats to you on maintaining your weight loss. I need to change my eating habits further and I guess the best way is to make small changes. Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Mike for your info. Your pics are inspiring. The workout routine is great and I do feel that I have more energy than before. Still I think I need to tweak my diet just a little more. I am determined and know I can do this. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aradwan
Thanks Mike for your info. Your pics are inspiring. The workout routine is great and I do feel that I have more energy than before. Still I think I need to tweak my diet just a little more. I am determined and know I can do this. Thanks again.
thanks. Tweeking your diet isn't a bad thing. Just keep in mind that p90X can be taxing and you'll need food for fuel. Are you following the nutrition guide? Just don't cut your calories too low, especially on the day you do Plyo. Don't forget to take your before pics if you haven't done so.

Oh you can quote mulitple people by hitting the MQ tab on the bottom right (located between Quote and QR)

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-08-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by aradwan
Wow!!! Very impressive weight loss to almeeker. I have been thinking about the positive benefits that my family can reap as well. So i realize that I do need to slowly introduce healthier meals. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely start putting some to practice. Thanks again.
My mom works in an ER and she was the one to point out to me that when you meet a healthy mom, you meet healthy family, and when you meet an unhealthy mom, the rest of the family is a brewing health disaster. When I started doing this I absolutely refused to make two meals and sit and eat salad while they threw down greasy cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets. I maybe have time to cook one meal, so if you want to eat in my house belly up to the table and don't complain unless you want to be on KP. The kids know this, one day maybe they'll even thank me for my healthy efforts - but I'm not holding my breath. Now I'm not one of those moms that won't have the stuff in the house, we have a little junk food from time to time, but it's more on the order of a "treat" than it is the "norm". We still have cake and ice cream for birthdays, the kids get candy at Halloween, etc etc, but they don't get candy, cake and ice cream every week.

BTW, good luck, you can do this.