Notices

Somersizing?

Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default Somersizing?

Is there anyone out there that is Somersizing right now? Any tips?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
FitDay Member

Can't say that I even know what Somersizing is, but welcome to the forum.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Can't say that I even know what Somersizing is, but welcome to the forum.
i know i know Somersizing is following a diet made up by Suzanne Sommers. My diet book says 'hugely popular in the '90 averaging 800kcal a day'
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by MunaAmin
i know i know Somersizing is following a diet made up by Suzanne Sommers. My diet book says 'hugely popular in the '90 averaging 800kcal a day'
Hi Kath, I know about Suzanne's diet plan as I did it back in the day. I quickly became concerned about my arteries tho and stopped doing it but I do enjoy some of her recipes and still have her books.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

I "Somersized" quite a bit back in the day. I was quite successful with it throughout my late 30s and early 40s, but I've found that as I have gotten older (now 49), my body is changing, and I can't handle the carb-only meals. I'm doing the Newest Atkins now, and it's quite a bit like Somersizing if you Somersized doing only Protein-Fat-Veggie meals. I have never been overweight since I started Somersizing (12 years ago?), and always go back to some version of it if I've been overeating and need to lose a few pounds. I'm doing the New Atkins now because I got close to the top of the "normal" range for my height, and I prefer to be in the middle of that range. I got there during the holidays because I was eating bread, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. .

As far as the "800 kcals/day" thing goes - Somersizing is not a calorie counting diet. I did the diet, and recommended it to dozens of people who were successful on it, and the lowest cals I ever ate daily on it was 1500, and as far as I know, that was the norm for my friends/colleagues as well. I usually ate 1600/day. I actually coudn't eat any more than that because the protein-fats-veggies meals kill my appetite. Right now, doing only protein-fats-veggies, I can barely eat 1400 cals a day, and have been eating 1200 or less comfortably. (Why do I ever stop eating this way? Darn holidays with all the delicious carb heavy food!).
Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
FitDay Premium Member

If memory serves me correctly I did very well on her plan, I think I lost about 11 lbs, most of it off my tummy, the first 3 weeks! Now I am eating less and moving more consuming 1500 cal or less so I think I will pull out one of her books for some dinner ideas. I really like her recipes and had pretty well forgotten about them..thanks for the memory jog!lol