Notices

Injury prevention vs results

Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Injury prevention vs results

In the past couple of years I've had a calf tear, plantar fasciitis, neck + back spasms, and ambient knee pain, generally after going too fast, too soon (jogging; just regular circuits ) I have tried to be careful with form but am probably doing something wrong.

I'm easing myself back into working out after a month away. Had good results, previously, but I know I'll have to step it up to refine my shape the way I'd like to.

Can't afford a gym membership or trainer atm, so am trying to learn enough to patch a routine together, and am trying to listen to my body... Guess I'm a bit of a fraidy cat about going too hard!

Anyone have experience with a return to safe but effective exercise?

Right now am alternating a bodyweight workout with C25K on the treadmill (first week). Have stability shoes!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 AM
FitDay Member

I was going to recommend stability shoes. I just bought a new pair and LOVE THEM!!! I almost kissed the sales guy, now wouldn't that have caught him by surprise? I think I would just take it at a pace that makes you sweat, breath hard and pushes you a little more every time, without pushing you to the point of damage. You might also want to look into a personal trainer, not the whole package, maybe you can share a session or two with a friend?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

The shoes are AMAZING, I know - glad you found them!

Thanks for the sensible tips. Makes so much more sense to attend to body stuff in subjective terms rather than meeting an arbitrary time goal, however motivating that is.

(Brain: 'I can TOTALLY make it to 60 mins on the mill, oh yes I can! Look at these saddlebags MELT off me!'
Calves: 'Um, no, actually, you can't.'
Sense: 'Maybe you will, in 8 weeks' time, see how it goes. And by now you should know those saddlebags'll probably hang around.')

Good idea, re springing for at least a one-off session. Will see if my budget can take it!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

what exactly are stability shoes? I did a Google search for pics and they just look like running shoes to me.

pinenut, how long have you had plantar fasciitis for? I had it a while back, I ended up getting custom made orthotics. The insoles (orthotics) were about $500 but well worth it. I wore them for about a year, and have been fine without them for about 4 years.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Heart monitor?

Mike: Stability shoes are running shoes with an extra amount of side support so your foot stays where it is supposed to be and not rock to the inside (or for some, outside). If your foot is out of alignment, it will put stress on all the rest of your joints as they try to keep you upright. This is a major cause of knee and hip pain and injury.

Pinenut: Have you thought about investing in a heart monitor? It might be worth experimenting with. For me, it has helped keep the silly expectations my brain makes up in line with the current capabilities of my body. Most of the monitors I have seen come with lots of info on how to use them effectively in your training. You can find them on Amazon, Road Runner, or at most atheletic stores. I wouldn't invest in the top of the line model - they usually have more bells and whistles than most folks need.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Pam,

I just read up on them, I don't need them b/c I'm a Supinator. I do think that my NB's are for stability though.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks both for your excellent suggestions! Sorry for delayed response - have been thrown off logging (and, well my entire workout schedule) by a visit from an unexpected houseguest (who wakes up earlier than me... just had no time for anything :s) .
Mike: Glad you've gotten over your PF. It sucks. I had it for about two months, I guess a little over two years ago now. Still remember crying in the mornings! I limited myself to vigorous calisthenics once I'd healed, but want to at least try running again, in a safe way this time. Orthotics are a little out of my reach (ho ho! no, that was a stretch - oh, sorry, can't help it!) right now. When I have the chance, I'll probably investigate it - have always had pronating flat feet, etc, so I'm sure it'll be worth it!
RunbikeSki: Fantastic idea! This, I think I can swing (Amazon's got one for about 30 bucks), and will do (now!).
--
For anyone reading this and looking for cheap/effective/not so hurty cardio, I've read that jumping rope provokes less impact than running, if performed correctly -i.e., jumping pretty low to the ground, and landing on the balls of the feet. Also that it can burn at least as many calories.
Have discovered that foot taping apparently assists with PF, by providing additional support. And this guy's thoughts on PF and running are brilliant (contain info on running technique, how to pace yourself, among other things. Have seen his (comprehensive) advice repeated - take short strides, land on balls of feet, limit 'air'), but rarely so well articulated.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

pinenut, I don't know what your current situation is but my health insurance covered a majority of the expense. If you have good health insurance you may be able to get them to "foot the bill" Pun intended.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Pinenut:
Jumping rope is excellent exercise - but I have to admit after about 10 minutes I'm bored to tears! I just need a change of scenery if I'm going to work that hard - but that's just me!

I've had really good luck with SuperFeet foot beds rather than custom orthodics. They run about $30 to $40 and come in a several different styles depending on your need (running, hiking, work shoes etc.) In fact I almost always switch out the footbeds that come in my running shoes with SuperFeet.

Let us know how the heart monitor works for you. The first time I used one I was like: OMG now I know why I'm getting injured and not wanting to continue, I'm working at 90% max heart rate - not something you want to do for very long.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

hey all, PF can be helped also by Massage, Icing and stretching. Don't let it go on to long because longterm PF can cause bonespurs! Ouch!

Let me know if you have an questions, I'm happy to explain in more detail.

Also, make sure you are stretching extensively. All stretches should be held for at least 30 seconds, but no more than 2 minutes. With the calf issue, there are actually two muscles in the calf and they need to be stretched individually. You can do this by stretching with your knee straight and then with your knee bent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.