Notices

Taking Responsibility and Being Accountable......

Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Taking Responsibility and Being Accountable......

Is your Wal-Mart making you fat?- MSN Money

I just read this article and I can't believe the lack of Responsibility and Accountability we are lacking now days.

It is ridiculous that we are blaming the food manufacturers and the stores that carry these foods.

S-T-O-P blaming Wal-Mart and the Food Manufacturers for what we should be blaming ourselves for.

WE (each one of us that is overweight) are responsible and accountable for our own actions. WE decide what goes in our own shopping carts.

Enough is enough!! Please take the accountability for your own actions. Stop blaming these companies. They are doing what is in the interest of supply and demand.

Bring back the American Farmer by purchasing WHOLE foods (aka fresh meat, fruits, veggies). The more we demand fresh, whole foods, the bigger the supply - which means the American Farmers will be able to go back to growing our food again instead of it being manufactured in a factory!!!

Bring back the old days!!!

We as adults and consumers decide what to buy. Stop buying the chips, cookies, frozen foods and hamburger helper. Get in your kitchen and cook from fresh beef, pork, chicken, fish, sea food, fresh or frozen vegetable...s and fruits. Stop relying on Stouffers, Sara Lee, Kelloggs, General Mills, Kraft to half prepare your meals. We need to slow down our lives and go back to the way our ancestors lived.

It doesn’t take that much time to prepare healthy, wholesome foods. I can prepare a whole meal for my husband and myself in the amount of time it takes to do any frozen or packaged food item.

Eating healthy also doesn’t have to be expensive either. Anyone can eat healthy on any budget!!!

These packaged, frozen and boxed foods (or franken foods) were never meant to be a mainstay of our diets. They were meant to be the occasional, in a pinch, meal.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey, wait--all this time I though it was MY own fault I ended up weighing over 400 lbs. and now I find out is was the new Wal-Mart Super Center that opened up here a few years ago?!

I'm calling my attorney--see ya' in court, Walton family.

Regards,
Michael

PS Seriously, I agree--the age of personal responsibility is gone. Everthing is "someone else's fault". Fat? McDonalds and Wal-Mart are to blame! Lung cancer? Damn the Marlboro Man!

Will it ever stop? I doubt it, but we can hope. And, we can accept responsibility for our own problems. Nobody but me stuffed food into my pie hole in large quantities. Some of it came from Micky D's and Wally World, but your's truly bought it and sucked it down.

Last edited by mecompco; 01-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

P-L,

I couldn't agree more. We all need to be responsible for our own actions!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

I agree for the most part. I take full responsibility for how I've turned out.

HOWEVER. I think it's wrong to let the corporations off with a free pass. There's no denying the sleazy marketing practices of McDonalds for instance. They market almost exclusively to kids! They make their poison, which happens to be quite addictive, and then sell it with playrooms, toys, and clowns. Yeah, there's totally no manipulation there. To their credit they seem to be improving these days in that regard, but still... Making a profit is no excuse for damaging lives.

Even though I L-O-V-E Mcdonald's food.

I also disagree that we need "the good old days" back. If we move backwards we're not progressing. We need to focus on moving forward, and making things better now, and for tomorrow. A lot of people forget that "the good old days" weren't always so great either. We've come a long way in medicine, technology, science, you name it. Of course there are plenty of negatives that come with all of that, we just have to learn how to balance it for the better. Let's not be afraid of moving forward.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VirusInside
HOWEVER. I think it's wrong to let the corporations off with a free pass. There's no denying the sleazy marketing practices of McDonalds for instance. They market almost exclusively to kids! They make their poison, which happens to be quite addictive, and then sell it with playrooms, toys, and clowns. Yeah, there's totally no manipulation there. To their credit they seem to be improving these days in that regard, but still... Making a profit is no excuse for damaging lives.

Even though I L-O-V-E Mcdonald's food.
I disagree. Yes they to market to kids... but it's the PARENTS that bring the kids to McDonalds. There are some healthy choices on the menu, most people don't chose them. I think if we, as parents (society as a whole)were so concerend about our children eating "poison", as you call it, we wouldn't feed it to them. If you are so worried about "sleezy marketing" then don't let you're kids sit in from of the TV and watch that crap. It's that simple. Once again, we are responsible... or at least SHOULD be. IMO

As far as playrooms in McDonalds, if more kids actually played instead of sitting on their butts eating garbage we wouldn't be faced with the situation that we are in.

I'm not afraid of moving FORWARD but the FUTURE looks bad. Not to get off track, but what kind of affect do you think that obesity has on health care costs? Our negligence and need to blame others is helping run this country into the ground. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-26-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Fundamentally, I agree, but...

... marketing works! And the proliferation of fast food outlets make food hard to ignore.

One of the reasons my grandparents were relatively thin most of their lives is that they didn't have such ready access to food. If they wanted a meal, or even a snack, they had to fix it themselves. These days, most of us can't avoid being bombarded with food, food smells, and food advertisement. It is everywhere! Yes, we do indeed make the decision to buy it, eat it, and regret it. But it is almost impossible to avoid it. Even folks living in the country away from strip malls and food courts are constantly beraged with advertising for food on the TV, radio, newspapers or magazines, not to mention billboards, roadsigns, and advertising on the sides of buses and trucks.

Now that you got me going: It seems to me that there was a time when eating in public, like stolling down the sidewalk stuffing a big mac in your mouth, sluping 96oz big gulps, or plowing through a bag of Doritos was considered taboo and bad manners. (Speaking of bring back the old days) I kinda wish those days would return. (But maybe not all the rest of the taboos like talking to someone of different race or gender in public - that one can stay good and buried.)
Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

As a child of "processed foods" -- that is, most of my meals were half-prepared in a box growing up, and I'm pretty sure the only veggies to cross my plate were corn, potatoes, and carrots (no green to be seen!) -- and fast foods, I can tell you that I wish I had been exposed to more whole foods much earlier than I was.

It's funny, thinking of my neighborhood growing up - the supermarket was a good 15-20 minutes away by car, but within walking/5 minute drive distance there was: A McDonald's, A Burger King, a Pizza Hut, A Taco Bell, a KFC... those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. And while it's true that my parents were the ones choosing to take me to these places, I'm sure I wailed for them constantly as well. And hey, when I was a kid, Apple Dippers weren't yet a glimmer in the Golden Arches' eye -- nor was milk instead of soda, etc. I don't remember caring about the toys (though I probably did?) but I DO remember salivating for those McD's fries.

I think more exposure to healthy alternatives is a good thing, and I *do* think it's happening more nowadays than it was when I was a child (or, perhaps I am simply more aware now) and I know it's up to ME to pass that awareness down to my future children, as well as good food habits, good food choices, and WHY they should be made. You are what you eat, and you are what you are TAUGHT to eat when you can't make your own informed choices (I know I'd never blame a child for wailing for yummy McD's french fries, but I *do* blame parents for giving in constantly. Once in awhile is normal. 3-4 times a week, like I had...is something less understandable to me). Now that I've started slowly cooking and eating more fresh foods (with some supplements from the boxes and jars) the boxed meal stuff tastes....lousy to me. Had a very late worknight last night and ended up throwing a boxed chicken alfredo dinner into the oven. It was disgusting. Even boyfriend agreed! I think I only ate a few forkfuls and ended up making a gigantic salad instead with some tuna fish.

In any case, I'd be a lot happier if I saw advertisements for healthy food as much or more than advertisements for junk. I'd also love more accountability on food labels and less ways to sneakily cover up additives with unpronounceable words. Maltrose, dextrose...just say ADDED SUGAR! Before I was educated my eyes glazed over, and it's taken a long time to get really savvy at it -- because I chose to care. That is personal accountability, but it took a long time because I had to make the conscious decision to look everything up in my free time. More information would have helped sooner, in my case.

In any case... my point is - more open information, more even advertising time, and better availability (and promotion!!!) of truly healthy offerings couldn't hurt.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

My kids all started on whole farm food. We bought our eggs and milk from a neighbour and I made homemade butter. We got a half cow from another neighbour, and 20 or so chickens from another. All these animals were organically fed.
I made homemade breads, cakes, fruit pies, canned vegetables from our own garden and only purchased fruit for canning.

This all changed when we moved into town, but my kids had been started out right, so they should be good, right?

WRONG!

My oldest daughter, even though she has been gifted with a number of cooking from scratch appliances, continues to purchase fast food and prepackaged items. This, regardless of the fact that soy ingredients contribute to her seizure activity and the fact that she has gone from a size 10 when she lived at home to a size 26.

If my oldest son was not at home, he would have the same tendencies.

It is only my second daughter and the youngest two (who were exposed to healthy eating for the shortest time) who make good food choices. The second daughter is only forced to because she has a daughter that is egg, dairy, soy, and gluten free.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

I believe in personal responsibility. All the same, I do believe that big corporations spend a lot of money to get consumers to eat/smoke/drink things they KNOW are unhealthy. I read a book called "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite" by David Kessler MD where he describes how corporations strive to make foods addictive and irresistible. They typically do it with combinations of fat, salt, and sugar. I avoid these items as much as I can. The research scientists who are formulating these foods are a whole lot smarter than most of us. To me, this is similar to the tobacco companies scheming to get children addicted to tobacco, making tobacco more addictive, and hiding the facts about tobacco's lethality. It's too bad they aren't using all that brain power to make the world a better place. And regardless of others' immoral behavior to harm someone else to make a buck, I'm still responsible for my own choices.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

As far as cigarettes and the tobacco companies, this is my take on it... I could understand that "back in the day" people got hooked on cigarettes b/c they didn't know any better. I get it, and I feel sorry for them. What I don't get is that cigarettes say on the side of the box (I'm at a loss for better words here so forgive me) "this sh!t will get you hooked and will kill you" and people still START smoking. They pick up that 1st cigarette and place it to their lips KNOWING DAMN GOOD AND WELL THAT'S IT'S ADDICTING AND WILL PROBABLY KILL THEM... and they still do it. I've seen kids at the bus stop, look to be 13, and think... damn that kid is stupid, either too stupid to read the warning that's printed on the box or too stupid to care.

Crack cocaine, meth, heroin, etc don't even come with a warning. Blame the tobacco companies for the people that got hooked 50 years ago, not for the dumb idiots that start smoking now. I'm sorry if this offends anyone. I've lost my mother to cancer and it baffles me how to this day someone will decide to START smoking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.