Notices

What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default What am I doing wrong?

I'm baffled. I'm doing everything right and still I do not see the scale drop. I'm 5'4", 140 lbs, and am a size 4/6. I would like to be 125 lbs. I've been there before, so I know it's possible. I'm working out 6 days a week (35 minutes of cardio and 25 minutes of weights). I'm eating 1000 calories a day. This should calculate into 2.8 lbs lost per week, but nothing is happening. I am noticing toning changes to my body, but it's extremely frustrating to see zero changes on the scale. Any advice?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think you are eating enough. 1000 calories per day is not even enough to sustain you. Your body is going into starvation mode and your metabolism is slowing to keep you make up for it.

I'll bet you are exhausted.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

It's been how much time since you've started??? More cardio, at least 45 min should do fine...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

It's not unusal to hit a plateau for a few weeks. It would be difficult give you ideas because we do not know your health or age.

Maybe cut down the salt intake, look at the % of vits in your diet. Ask your doctor to check your health for other weight retention probs(thyroid) or meds. Just keep trying.

My metabolism has changed as I got older. I had two surgeries this year and a knee injury. I not realizing that the medications from the surgery might have affected my digestion.

I am trying healthy herbal detox products and cleasers to get my digestive system clear of all the medications. Weight gain with medications are a big barrier for many people.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

What types of foods are you eating?

Peace,

Jo
Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

I'm by far not an expert, as I'm only just starting to work out myself.

I agree with what someone else said, 1000 calories per day may not be enough, in which case your body will go into starvation mode and burn muscle instead of fat. There's some good advice here, particularly dealing with adding variety to your workout.

Eliminate that Weight Plateau and Start Making Progress!

Just keep working out, eating right, and comparing your calorie intake to your calorie usage (should not be higher than 1000 calorie deficit from what I'm told). Just knowing that you are following a healthy lifestyle and doing right for your body is more important than jumping on the scale for reassurance.

It sounds like you're doing great! You just need some minor tweaks to balance out your nutrition.

Last edited by doggiesnot; 01-04-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default I have heard eating too little can be bad?

Maybe you need to eat a little more. Your body may be starving? Try eating 1400 calories a day instead. Also if you weighed 125 when you were in your teens or twenties and now your in your late twenties or thirties maybe your new ideal weight is where you are at now. Sometimes it is almost impossible and not a good idea to get back to an earlier than 23 year old, weight.

For me, I am 5'1" and weigh 150 lbs. My ideal weight is 135. At 20 I weighed 98 but I cannot go back to that weight and do not want to. My bone structure was different then. I have a woman's frame and a woman's weight to go with it. At 135 I have no flab. At 150 I have a little too much flab for my taste and not enough flexibility.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

If you increase your calories to 1,200 per day, you will see results. If you eat less than 1,200 calories per day, your body goes into starvation mode and it will hold onto the fat, not burn it. Thus your metabolism slows down. Eat 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day and you will notice a difference! Also, if you are lifting weights, you may be burning fat and building muscle, which means your pants size will decrease but your weight may stay the same. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb What am I doing wrong

You are not eating enough. For this to work you need to take in more calories.

Hanben
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

If you are seeing tone changes, it might be you are gaining muscle and losing fat, but since muscle is denser your total mass isn't changing.

"Starvation mode" may or may not be a true condition, depending on who you talk too, but I do agree that you should try increasing your calorie intake to 1200/day to see if that helps. You might always want to try zigzagging (1000 one day, 1400 the next, averaging out to 8400 a week). If you aren't doing cardio, or aren't doing MUCH cardio, you might want to increase that part of your workout to increase your metabolism.

Or, if you ARE doing a lot of cardio, try adding in some weight training...

Basically, change things up and see what happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.