Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions >

Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions

Notices

Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions

Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions

X

Last edited by uga09; 05-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

I started fit day Dec 28th at 200 lbs, lost 4.6 pounds in 10 days then hit a plateau! I have never had that happen so early. For the next ten days I did not lose anything, a few days I was up. I did stick with it although it is hard when you are not seeing those rewarding numbers. I started losing about again about 8 days ago and the weight is dropping off fast again- I'm down another 4 pounds. I don't know why I hit that early plateau and I didn't change anything during it. My calorie defecit is about 800 calories.

I try to remind my self that the number on the scales is only one indicator of how I'm doing. Measuring and trying on the clothes you are closer to getting into helps.

Mary
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hello Robert. Here is my response to your query. I hope you find it helpful.
I appreciate the spirit of community here at Fit Day, and I try to contribute appropriately.

I am a 5’ 10” married male, age 58, and at the start, (Oct 4th), I had high BP, blood sugar and cholesterol.
This was my initial motivation. I decided to do something about it and become “productively selfish”.
At the start of my program I weighed 252 lbs.
I spoke with a dietitian and put together a well balanced plan of diet, exercise, awareness, focus and discipline.
I know my own weakness and the key for me was to stop being an “emotionally fueled, binge eater".

My plateaus have been concurrent with the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and possibly the consumption of too many varieties of egg nog. After each plateau, I increased my focus and you can see the results.
I realize that my data is, at times; way askew of what is considered safe or normal.
However, it is all true as I have logged here faithfully. Shrug…go figure!

Here are my results, so far. I will allow one self-administered attaboy for my focus and discipline.
My message to everyone is simple. Keep on keepin’ on and stick to your plan. Don’t give up!
And also……..…REWARD YOURSELF FOR YOUR SUCCESS!

Here is a comma delineated chart which I hope will be clear in my post.
Month, Day, Weight in lbs, Aggregate loss in lbs, Weekly loss in lbs

----------Oct, 4, 252, 0, 0
1. Oct, 11, 245, -7, -7
2. Oct, 18, 240, -12, -5
3. Oct, 25, 235, -17, -5
4. Nov, 01, 231, -21, -4
5. Nov, 08, 227, -25, -4
6. Nov, 15, 223, -29, -4
7. Nov, 22, 221, -31, -2
8. Nov, 29, 221, -31, 0-----PLATEAU
9. Dec, 06, 217, -35, -4
10. Dec, 13, 216, -36, -1
11. Dec, 20, 213, -39, -3
12. Dec, 27, 212, -40, -1
13. Jan, 03, 211, -41, -1----PLATEAU
14. Jan, 10, 204, -48, -7
15. Jan, 17, 202, -50, -2
16. Jan, 24, 201, -51, -1
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

I think I've finally hit my first plateau too. That scale just isn't budging anymore. This might not be entirely relevant, but one thing I've done is actually weigh myself multiple times throughout the day, just so I can see how much my weight fluctuates. It can go up and down by as much as 3 or 4 pounds all in one day! I did this to prove to myself that the battle of the scale doesn't matter much. Our weight from one day to the next is unimportant, as it's the bigger picture we have to keep in mind. At the end of the day I know my calories in are less than my calories out. That equals weight loss.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

X

Last edited by uga09; 05-05-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default my diet and exercise deal

Here is my diet report for the past 2 months (an inserted table) I hope it works
As far as working out, I just started in December. It is just walking but I keep my pace between 3.5 and 4.0 mph. Over the last 8 weeks I am averaging about 8.3 miles per week. I plan to keep that up and when the weather permits (snow off the pavement) I will begin a period of interval training (running/walking intervals) probably doing 5k sessions to start. I have to monitor an ACL tear in my right knee so we'll see how that goes......Anyway, that is my current plan. New weight goal....
183 lbs...my wedding weight.

albie@round Nutrition Facts
last 2 months
Fat 38.6 g 59 %
Saturated Fat 10.9 g 54 %
Polyunsaturated Fat 7.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 9.5 g
Cholesterol 160.5 mg 54 %
Sodium 1,536.9 mg 64 %
Potassium 1,421.0 mg 41 %
Carbohydrate 154.0 g 51 %
Dietary Fiber 18.3 g 73 %
Protein 65.3 g 131 %

Vitamin A 295 %
Calcium 56 %
Vitamin D 11 %
Thiamin 33 %
Niacin 35 %
Vitamin B6 43 %
Phosphorus 62 %
Selenium 73 %
Vitamin C 114 %
Iron 38 %
Vitamin E 20 %
Riboflavin 52 %
Vitamin B12 30 %
Manganese 98 %
Copper 28 %
Magnesium 40 %
Zinc 31 %
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Plateaus sometimes are just metabolic resets

Hi All,
Just a little history here:
I started a weight loss regime last year (1 year and 2 weeks to be exact) using a combination of Fitday (which was probably the biggest key) and under medical supervision which kept me on task since I had to check in every 2 weeks. The diet doc I saw as super in many ways. I am/was fortunate that I have always been pretty active and that I have pretty good eating habits, so it was more a matter of tweeking than total make-over.

I lost 30 pounds in 3 months which was the main goal, and the 5 more over the next 2 months. I'm currently working on the last 10.

The diet doc's explanation of plateaus (2 weeks or more of no weight loss) was the that for most people, it is the body saying, "hang-on here, I need to catch-up and adjust my metabolism". His recommendation was to up the calorie intake to around, (maybe a little below) your daily maintenance requirement for a week or two, then return to your reduced calorie diet.

This can be really hard and a little frightening for those with long term commitments to weight loss. You know: "crap, if I stop now, I may never get started again". But it definitely helped me and gave me a little practice at what the new "normal" eating pattern was going to be. He strongly recommended against cranking down on the calories as many are inclined to do. His knowledge and experience told him that it wouldn't work (for most people) and that many folks would find themselves even more miserable everytime they stepped on the scale, and inclined to give up.

Everyone is a little different, as this forum can attest to in spades, but I think what the diet doc's advise spoke to best was: Have patience with yourself, maintain your long term goal, and stay confident that you can acheive it.

Thanks for starting the thread, I know this issue weaves through a lot of other threads, so this is great!

Pam
Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

X

Last edited by uga09; 05-05-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a 37 y/o female 5'3" 224 lbs. (start weight 240) I hit a plateau 3 weeks in. First 2 weeks the weight flew off, then nothing in the 3rd week.
Scale stuck for 8 days. And it even went up a couple times, but always went back down. This week the plateau ended and over a 3 day period I had a 5lb. loss.
I upped my water (from 64 to 80), ate the same (1200), increased exercise and switched it up a bit. I did have my "free day" in the middle of my plateau also, I ate without counting calories or figuring nutrition, so maybe that actually helped. The body is a confusing thing, just stick with it, the plateau will end. I know it's frustrating when you are doing everything right and the scale won't budge.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default FYI: Center for Medical Weight Loss

Hi UGA
Georgia Bulldog perhaps?

I actually did go through a center: The "Center For Medical Weight Loss". I took advantage of a free consultation and was fully prepared to walk out saying "thanks, but no thanks". But the philosophy was just as you are hoping for. Let's look at your diet, let's look at your activities, and let's come up with a plan that works for you and will help you reach your goals. No magic potions, or crazy food stuff. They will prescribe an appitite suppressant, but my doc wasn't a big supporter of them. He just said, use them if and when they help, but otherwise lay off.

The Center insists that you record all your food and activities which is how I became fully addicted to Fitday. (I was using it prior mostly to evaluate my eating habits.) I actually introduced Fitday to the doc, who now recommends it to all his patients. At the 2 week meetings you bring all your food and activity information in and after you weigh-in you go over your success or assess why you weren't as successful as you had hoped. He loved the pie chart and RDA graph, it made it so easy for him to see in a glance what I was up to nutritionally

The major down side is that you are pretty much obligated to sign up for a 12 week program at about $600. But I have to say that the $600 kept me motivated I now go back about every 6 months or so for a checkin/check-up (and to brag ).

I'm not sure all of the CMWL operate the same way. I'm guessing some are more of a processing plant than others. But sometimes you fall into a sewer and come up with a piano! In this case the doc had shifted his practice from a general practioner to specializing in weight control after so many of his patients were suffering from conditions all related to obesity. He really was dedicated to the cause and a gem!

Pam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.