Turkey chili recipe? >

Turkey chili recipe?

Community
Notices

Turkey chili recipe?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Turkey chili recipe?

Anyone have a good healthy recipe? I'd like to make a big pot, for quick easy dinner or lunches. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

That's funny I just had some for lunch today. I made a big pot on Monday night. I love the Mooswood recipe but it is for a vegetarian chili, however I just replaced the bulgar wheat for ground turkey and it is delicious!

I also begin by browning the meat with onions and garlic (I replace olive oil with Pam for lowering the fat) and then I add the veggies, then tomato sauce and spices and then the tomato sauce and finally the beans and let it simmer for a good half hour. What I like about the Moosewood recipe is the combination of spices and ingredients.

Here is a link to it:

Moosewood Vegetarian Chili Recipe with pictures
Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I made this one:

Laura's Quick Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Recipe - Allrecipes.com

in our new slow cooker for our family Christmas potluck. Everyone loved it except my wife who prefers bland, tasteless food. I WILL admit that I might have put a little extra chili powder and cumin in .

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you both, will try them for sure!!

And "might" have Michael? hehe
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

The Perricone promise one is my favorite. The same book has some other really tasty dishes too. Perhaps you can get the recipes online. I haven't really checked because I have the book.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mchedester
The Perricone promise one is my favorite. The same book has some other really tasty dishes too. Perhaps you can get the recipes online. I haven't really checked because I have the book.
Thank you, I will check it out.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Turkey chili

Here is a "yum-o" recipe from rachael ray
Brown 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan breaking meat into small crumbles. Season the turkey with 3 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of grill seasoning, 1 tablespoon of cumin 2 tablespoons of hot sauce, and 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce.

Chop 1 large onion and two bell peppers and add to the meat mixture after meet has cooked for about 5 minutes. (rachael has you save about 1/4 of the onion to garnish the chili with but I don't bother). cook 10 minutes more.

Add 1/2 bottle (3/4) cup) beer and deglaze the pan, scraping up the drippings and cooking off the alcohol. Add 1 (28) ounce can of tomato sauce or puree, 1/2 cup of smokey BBQ sauce and 1 cup frozen corn kernels and bring the mixture to a bubble. Let the chili simmer for 10 minutes and adjust seasonings to your taste.

I usually substitute diced canned tomatoes (no salt), and add more corn and more bell peppers. I also like my chili with kidney beans, so I add a can of those as well.

This chili is just terrific!

Cathycakes...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

I just make my moms chili recipe and swap the ground beef out for ground turkey. Mom uses canned tomatoes that she puts up from her garden, but any canned tomato works fine. You can also use fresh tomatoes if you make it in a crock pot and let it stew all day.

1 pound ground turkey
1-3 sweet peppers any color (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
1-2 quarts canned tomatoes (equal to 2-3 20 oz cans)
1-2 tablespoons chili powder
salt & pepper to taste
hot sauce (optional and to taste)
1 4oz can of tomato paste (if the tomatoes are watery)
2 cans dark red kidney beans (or chef's choice)

Spray a 6-quart pot with Pam and brown turkey, add onions then peppers, saute maybe 4-5 minute until onions soften. Drain grease off (if there is any), then add in everything else, stir to combine, then simmer for 10-20 minutes, or 8 hours on low in a crock pot, or 4 hours on high. Makes 8-12 servings. For fresh tomatoes, use 6-8 cups of chopped tomatoes and 1-2 cans of tomato paste.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

I just made this delicious turkey white bean chili recipe. It is delicious! This website also has a lot of great recipes for those who are on weight watchers or simply trying to eat healthier foods.

White Bean Turkey Chili | Ginas Skinny Recipes