Notices

Anyone use just a treadmill.....

Old 01-29-2010, 10:07 AM
FitDay Member

Question Anyone use just a treadmill.....

Hi,

I just recently got a treadmill off of a friend. It works fine except for the incline part. I've only had it for a week so far but it really seems to be helping. I've been walking 35 minutes at 3.5-3.6 speed (which is fast for me since I'm short) 5 days a week. I definately get a workout from it.

I was wondering if anyone else here uses a treadmill for their only form of exercise? If so, how are you doing with your weightloss?

Jenny
Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

I am using the treadmill as well. I hold a set of 2 pound weights in my hands while I do it and work my arms at the same time..it is amazing how much harder that is!! My incline works so I go slower than you but have the incline set up high...talk about a butt workout!! LOL!! And yes, I believe this works well!!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats; sounds like you are off to a great start! The suggestion with the weights and incline is a good one too...I will have to try that. I could definitely use the butt workout.

I think your treadmill will be fine for quite a while, but I did read that your body becomes accustomed to the exercise you do, so if you find yourself in a plateau, that should be one of the first things to change up a little bit. Maybe rotate in a workout DVD or whatever else interests you. At least mix up the speeds and do some interval training when you get used to it...keep it up!!

Cassie
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Kathie;
Wow! I can't imagine using weights with the treadmill yet. Way to go! what level of incline do you use?
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

Sounds like your off to a good start. I have been doing treadmill for over a month now. I hold weights and increase my incline and speed to the last 5 minutes of my workout. I vary the level of my weights; hip,abdomen,shoulder,overhead; going from low to high for as long as I can hold them up, then start over. I also do crunches and free weights for about 10 minutes each. I'm on the Atkins/Southbeach diet. I started exersizing and diet 4 Jan and have lost 19 lbs. so far and feeling great. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Using a treadmill can only be beneficial. Burn those calories! I have a treadmill but I don't use it as often as I should. I really prefer to walk outside -- weather permitting. I find it too easy to just step off the treadmill. Outside I have not choice but to continue on or at least have to walk back to where I started. Scenic, too. I need to utilize my treadmill more.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

fruit jars (cute name)!!

I prefer to walk outside as well, and I have a beautiful scenic park I can take my dogs to and they can run unleashed! It is great, but at this time of year it is covered in snow and impassable....so the treadmill is my only option.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

I had been doing so well last year walking regularly -- especially on trails at a state park. Then in September I sprained my ankle -- not even exercising! I wasn't able to walk or do yoga. Then I became lazy. Looking foward to the weather improving so I can get back to the park.

Regarding "fruitjars" -- I love old canning jars!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hi ..I use treadmill and a bit of weights..thats all..and i think it does wonders since i cant exercise much due to my backache
Old 02-13-2010, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

I have a treadmill that I have had and loved for over three years. What I love about it is that you not only lose "overall" weight, you see such beautiful muscle development in your legs/butt/waist! I have dropped 40lbs thanks mostly to my treadmill. Two things to be careful of - overuse injuries to knees and ankles - if it hurts, don't ignore it, treat it, and take it easy, or you'll end up with a nice injury and probably a hot date with your local knee surgeon (ask me, I know).

Also make sure you have a pair of running shoes, and a SEPERATE pair of "walking around" shoes. If you use one pair of shoes, you'll have problems with the shoe supports wearing out and you need every bit of support you can get when you're running. Your running shoes need to be about a 1/2 size larger than your foot (but no so large that they are slipping and blistering your heels or toes) because your toes need to have enough room to spread when you roll up onto the ball of your foot. Even in PERFECT footwear, runners have problems with toenails (hugely popular tshirt among runners -"GOT TOENAILS?" ha ha), but if your shoes don't fit you are setting yourself up for major heartache (toe-ache, actually).

Sorry, definitely not any kind of running expert here, but if I can help someone avoid overuse injuries and damaged toenails, I think I should!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.