Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Mai, is there an easy way to make pho at home? I love it and I'd like to be able to make it and know exactly what's in it so I can work it into my food plan. Right now when I go out for it, it's just a guess!
Yes you can make it at home. If you love to cook, you can give it a try. But I don't have the exact recipe. I just know the method, the taste you have to adjust by yourself.
Here how I do it
1. Buy the meat that you want, I buy beef shank (it have a big tough meat around little bone). If you want to cook for a big crown, add some beef bone (more flavor and more fat). You also can buy some round eye or bottom round roast, or any kind of lean tender cut for rare. You thin slice it and put it 1 layer ontop of the noodle before pour hot soup over it.
2. Pho Spices (at your asian store). IF they don't have, you can use the combination of 1 cinamon stick, 1Tbsp of clove, 3 star anises, 1Tbsp pepper corn, 1 cadimom pod. Put them in a cheese cloths or a herb ball.
3. Rice noodle dry or fresh. Fresh is better, you just need to blanch them for 1/2 minute right before you serve. Dry, you need to soak them in cold water for 3 hours, then rinse and blanch for 1 minute right before you serve.
4. Bean sprout, basil, green onion and cilantro Chopped, hoisin sauce, sirrachia (chilli sauce).
5. Rock sugar (or just regular one), salt, MSG (optional)
6. 1 onion, and a 4oz fresh ginger slice or smash.
How to cook:
If you use bone, it more complicated. You need to boil the bone for 5 minutes, then wash them under cold running water, so all the scum to get all the scum out. Then add them to you soup pot.
If you just use beef shank, wash and put it in the soup pot and water and bring to a boil. Becareful, and get all the scum out the first 20 minutes so the stock be clear. After you take out all the scum about 30 minutes. Put in an onion and sliced ginger, a Tbsp salt. At this point you can cover the pot to prevent avaporate and keep the flavor in. Let it simmer for a couple hours. When you think the flavor in the bone came out of thebone.
You add 1 or 2 piece of rock sugar, MSG, and more salt to taste. Then You put the spice which already prepare in the herb ball. This step take about 20-30 minutes. Check after 20 minutes to see if you like it or not. If you let it boil too long it will be too strong.
There you have a Pho pot.
Put the blanched noodle on the bowl, add rare meat, chopped scalion, cilantro. Then pour hot soup in the bowl with the meat we have been cook in the pot. and serve.
Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help.