Notices

Multivitamin: Too much of a good thing?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default Multivitamin: Too much of a good thing?

After taking a Centrum Multi today, I've noticed that a few of my nutrient stats are over 200 percent the RDA, and some are reaching +300! Anyway, I just want to make sure that I'm not getting too much of certain vitamins and nutrients. Anyone have any good resources on what's healthy and what's overkill? Is there like a chart of absolute maximum levels somewhere?

Or should I just avoid the multivitamin all together?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
FitDay Member

I've done some research on this subject. Here is what I found out.

Fat-soluble vitamins which include A, D, E, & K are stored in the liver, so your body doesn't need to be replenished with these vitamins every day. If you take an overload of these vitamins it can actually damage your liver.

Water-soluble vitams which include B-complex group and vitamin C are not stored in the body. Whatever the body doesn't use is eliminated thru your urine. These vitamins must be restored every day. The B-complex vitamins include the following:

thiamin (B1)
riboflavin (B2)
niacin
B6
folate
B12
biotin
pantothenic acid

The average person gets enough of the fat-soluble vitamins in their daily diet. I would look at the lable on your multi-vitamin. If it includes much of the fat-soluble vitamins, I would not take it. You can always just take a B-complex supplement and a C supplement and forget the multi-vitamin.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Just a thought, but millions of people (or more) take a daily multivitamin w/o issues. From what I've read, the problems start when people take several thousand percent of certain vitamins, when can be toxic.

If it's a concern, perhaps take one every other day. I take a daily generic version of the Centrum and everything seems to be fine.

To be sure what's best for you, a quick consult with your Dr. might be a good idea.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks a lot guys. I've been taking these things forever, I've just never seen all the numbers added up before. It got me a little concerned that's all.