Notices

why are the scales not moving??

Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default why are the scales not moving??

would someone please help me shed some light on this issue....
I have drastically cut down on calorie intake (avergaing about 900-1000 per day) im female 35 years old, 5 foot 6 and 14 stone
excersising for 50 mins every other day and 30 mins walking everyday
I have been doing this for 2 weeks

AND STILL THE SCALES SAY NO WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!

they are electronic so its not like they are broke I just dont seem to be loosing any weight at all and I dont understand why

if someone can help me please do!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by janiebabes
would someone please help me shed some light on this issue....
I have drastically cut down on calorie intake (avergaing about 900-1000 per day) im female 35 years old, 5 foot 6 and 14 stone
excersising for 50 mins every other day and 30 mins walking everyday
I have been doing this for 2 weeks

AND STILL THE SCALES SAY NO WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!

they are electronic so its not like they are broke I just dont seem to be loosing any weight at all and I dont understand why

if someone can help me please do!!!
Have you been losing right along? Plateaus happen (that would make a good bumper sticker ) from time to time during weight loss.

At ~196 pounds you should be losing at a decent pace. Now, are you SURE your calorie count is correct? Sometimes I have to go back to weighing/measuring my portions for a while.

You can try a number of things to get the loss going again--basically change something as the body gets used to what you're doing. Drink more waters, eat more protein, change up your exercise. Or do all of these.

If you're consistently burning more calories than you are taking in, you WILL lose weight (eventually).

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

im eating pre packaged meals with the calories on them so that should be right, maybe my body is just putting up a bit of a fight at the minute and clinging on to the blubber.

i will not quit, I feel smaller and my clothes are looser, but no actual weight loss..I suppose its all a bit of a "dark art" and i should stop over analyzing, if my body is shrinking does actually loosing weight matter, may be that will come in time???
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

I would highly recommend you cook from scratch. I saw a TV show on those packaged diet meals and NOT ONE OF THEM WAS EVEN CLOSE TO ACCURATE!!! All of them had tons of sodium, higher calories and higher fat contents than what was printed on the box, and in most cases it was significantly higher. I don't know if the same is true in Europe, but here in the States the regulatory agencies that oversee these things doesn't have enough man power to keep up with every product and the fines and penalties aren't enough to offset the profits they make catering to the diet crowd.

I also had trouble a time or two sitting at a plateau when I was doing everything else right, so during those times I boosted my protein to 40%-50%, dropped the calories by 100-200 and waited for the scale to show me the money. Weight loss = burn more than you take in + time. Another thing I can't stress enough is water, 64 oz baseline + an additional 8 oz for every 10 lbs you want to lose. Get yourself a water bottle and glue it to your hand.

Also you might want to increase the intensity of your workouts, walking is great exercise, but jogging burns 3-5 times more calories for the same time commitment. So maybe you walk a minute, jog a minute, etc etc. Get that heart rate going and keep it up there. And keep the workouts interesting, change it up weekly/daily whatever, and push yourself to a sweat as quickly as possible.

Last edited by almeeker; 01-19-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for all the advice... I dont actually drink a great deal of water, i tend to drink coffee (no milk or sugar) all day long.

have just done a little research and founf this article, its quite usefull

...head off to get a glass of water!!

Why drinking water helps with weight loss - Drink Water to Lose Weight and Burn Fat
Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yes, I think if you up the water intake you'll see some results. I used to eat prepackaged meals (Nutrisystem, Lean Cuisine, WW, etc.) but this time around I've opted not to. They taste good, and they do limit your portion size, but they are just so full of sodium, preservatives, etc.

I do eat a few processed food items, but I keep them to a minimum. Kinda funny, and a 180 degree turn from my previous lifestyle where we lived out of cans and boxes, I now cook most every meal.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down regarding water intake

I am new at this forum thing...but the water intake questions go right along with what I have learned. I am doing a 30 minute ab workout every morning (after a glass of water and two aspirin). Hey, third day and already I am seeing painful but good results; the interesting thing is I am drinking lots of water at the computer and at dinner and do I get 8 glasses a day - hardly; but I am hydrated and really not bound up in muscle pain. Lots more energy too, like I am hyped all day.

One question though. I cannot find an ab workout in activities list. Calesthentics is the closest I can get and that does not come close to the energy expended in an ab workout.

192 and headed for 130 if only I could wean myself from half and half in my tea!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by janiebabes
im eating pre packaged meals with the calories on them so that should be right, maybe my body is just putting up a bit of a fight at the minute and clinging on to the blubber.

i will not quit, I feel smaller and my clothes are looser, but no actual weight loss..I suppose its all a bit of a "dark art" and i should stop over analyzing, if my body is shrinking does actually loosing weight matter, may be that will come in time???
First, I always heard that you should not go below 1200 cals a day. Your body do not get enough nutitions and go to a starvation mood which it hold on to every bit of fat that it has try to survive.
Second, If your clothes loose and you feel smaller, just be patient, don't give up. I have heard some situations that "the weight not change but the inches does". And be patient, your hard work will pay off.
I am in the same situation sometimes before (though I couldn't go below 1200 cals, I will be too hungry. I also love food.) I got lot of compliment, but my pounds not going down.
Good luck
Mai
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by shahanj
I am new at this forum thing...but the water intake questions go right along with what I have learned. I am doing a 30 minute ab workout every morning (after a glass of water and two aspirin). Hey, third day and already I am seeing painful but good results; the interesting thing is I am drinking lots of water at the computer and at dinner and do I get 8 glasses a day - hardly; but I am hydrated and really not bound up in muscle pain. Lots more energy too, like I am hyped all day.

One question though. I cannot find an ab workout in activities list. Calesthentics is the closest I can get and that does not come close to the energy expended in an ab workout.

192 and headed for 130 if only I could wean myself from half and half in my tea!
Water
You are right. I have to measure my water every morning 64 oz. I have to finish that by 6 pm. I did not measure my water I hardly get enough.
Mai
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by shahanj
I use light almond milk in my coffee, it's yummy and has only 60 calories per cup. So long as you aren't allergic to nuts it's very healthy as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.