Notices

Yoga

Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Yoga

Bikram hot yoga is 90 minutes in a room about 109 degrees and 40% humidity. It consisits of doing 26 hatha yoga postures 2 times each.
I use 90 minutes of moderate to heavey calistenics on Fitdays exercise tracker as my calorie count but would like a more direct count. Any ideas out there? Moderator, will this be an option in the near future?

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-22-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default Yoga

Has anyone tried Yoga as an exercise to lose weight? Any thoughts about it?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Yoga is a great exercise for weight loss

There are several different styles, so you might want to look into them on the web before investing in DVDs or classes.

Most styles will give you a full body workout and improve balance and flexibility. I strongly recommend taking a couple of classes to get started if you can afford it and/or can get to one. A good teacher can really help you get into the poses properly without hurting yourself and modify poses that are just a little beyond your skill so that you can do a modified version working up to the full-on pose.

The other benefit of yoga is the mind/body connection. Yoga teaches us how to use the mind to appreciate and train the body and to use the body to calm the mind.

As you might have guessed - I highly recommend it to anyone. Any age or any fitness level.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

I've tried it twice now at the gym in the past few weeks. I thought it was going to be more stretching but....

My arms and shoulders were killing me the next day! The "downward facing dog" position for me is a workout in itself trying not to fall over. I think yoga is great, and I'm going to be incorporating it into my schedule whenever possible.

I definitely couldn't do the advanced positions to save my life, so I will remain in the beginner posses till I gain more strength etc.

One weird goal of mine is to someday in the near future be able to do the "splits" like I used to in high school. Hopefully yoga will aid in this ridiculous goal of mine!

Go ahead and give it a try!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Definitely give it a try. There are people who find it boring or not very fun, so you'll want to see if it's an exercise you like. I have moods, some days I love it, some days I find it a great waste of my time.

What I do love is to use yoga as a warm up for my workouts in the morning. I wake up kind of stiff (sometimes a little sore) and yoga is a great way to warm up my muscles prior to cardio. My yoga 'session' is pretty short, usually do a routine of the upward facing dog, move to downward facing dog, then a couple of the warrior poses. The 'dog' poses warm the arms, shoulders, back, and chest and the warrior poses get my quads and legs warmed. (oh, by the way, don't be intimated by the pose names, you'll start to pick up on them as you get into it.)

I say give it a try, you might just love it. And even if you don't, I'd still recommend it since it does help with flexibility, control, balance, and strength.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

I'm particularly fond of kundalini yoga because it's more free-form and less about holding poses. I'm not flexible or coordinated at all, but I have bad joints so the stretching is especially good for me. I've been doing yoga for years, but I still do the beginner level workouts. I have gotten a lot more flexible, but I"ll never have the balance for the advanced stuff.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the responces. I will be trying the yoga class today. I dont have muvh choice on style because I am in the Military and it is provided for free so I got what I can get. I just want to do something different for my body so that it isnt just doing the same thing all the time...like running.

Thank all
Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
FitDay Member

Everyone was right. Yoga was good. It helps to relax and to strech. I had the balance but I lack the strength and flexability needed to do some of the poses. I guess that will come with continued sesions.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default Strength training/yoga question

I hate the repetitiveness of strength training, but I love yoga. I feel like there are a lot of arm/shoulder-intensive positions in yoga, like handstand, elbow-stand, push-up position, or even just downward dog. Can a yoga routine that focuses on arm strength be enough of a strength training workout to get the benefits of using weights without having to actually use them?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
FitDay Member

Depends on, as I am not familiar with the yoga routines. I do a lot of bodyweight exercises (push-up, pull-up etc.) so you can do a lot without weights...but the same benefits than weight trainining, I find that hard to believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.