Notices

Ladies...clothing advice...help!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Default Ladies...clothing advice...help!

Okay, I have been self-employed forever and I do fine with work clothes. However, since my husband has started a new job, I have to attend one of his work functions. The dress code is "Party Business Casual" but it is at a rather fancy restaurant.

The last time I did this was years ago and I felt a little underdressed.

Suggestions, please??

Thanks!!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

I guess you don't want any help from the guys??

Believe it or not, some of us can look "put together" without having some one else dress us. Which reminds me, my daughter is 18 and she was telling me that she loves when I get her clothes for Christmas... not so much from her mom.

I would go with blouse and a jacket (you may be able to incorporate a cami with it since cleavage is a no-no) and probably a skirt. If you don't like skirts just wear a nice pair of dress pants. If you go with a skirt, try to keep it around knee length and make sure your legs are freshly shaven... even if wearing hose. Oh don't forget the heels, if you go with an open toe, make sure your toes look nice. If you are going with an open heel, make sure you have no dead dried up skin back there. As far as colors, I'd go dark on the jacket and bottoms, and maybe a little more colorful on the top. Go with what color looks good with either your skin tone or eyes, don't forget to make sure you and your hubby look like y'all belong together. Oh... it's okay to "accessorize" but don't get carried away, and try to wear a light perfume. That's just my .02 from the men's peanut gallery.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-17-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hello! oh i do love clothes

I'd go with a nice pair of slacks and a nice sweater- or blouse... Or a nice dress...nothing to formal-

I'd stay away from tan/khaki pants- if the place if nice go with black slacks! and a nice sweater!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys!

Mike, didn't mean to stereotype your gender. I have limited experience, with my husband completely clueless with his clothes as well as mine, and teenage son with two speeds: "Hot Mama" and "You look like Grandma."

I am very impressed with how well-rounded you are
Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Thanks guys!

Mike, didn't mean to stereotype your gender. I have limited experience, with my husband completely clueless with his clothes as well as mine, and teenage son with two speeds: "Hot Mama" and "You look like Grandma."

I am very impressed with how well-rounded you are
lol, I was just giving you a hard time. I'm not as well-rounded as I use to be. Now you just need to make sure that "Mr. Clueless" looks good! haha
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

Can I take a stab at this? My husband and I have had to attend such functions for many years. I believe what they are saying is no jeans, khakis, shorts, tees, etc. (A reminder to the youngest of the staff, I bet.) They want everyone to look professional. And Mike is right. They are reminding the staff that cleavage, etc. is a no no.

quinn
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

I'm an architect, as is DH, so at least 6-12 times a year we have ribbon cuttings, grand openings, presentation ceremonies, etc etc, oh and let's not forget the annual Christmas party. IMO you can't go wrong with the little black dress (with or without a shrug, shawl, short sweater etc), sheer jet black hose, a fabulous pair of high heels (any color works so long as the shoes are stunning and comfortable), a couple of good pieces of real jewelry (parties require a hint of bling), a hint of eye make-up (mascara at a minimum) and some fantastic lipstick (if you're lost on the color, find a make-up counter at a department store and find an attendant near your own age to help you). And for perfume, spritz it in the air in front of you and then walk through it, you never get too much that way and it's evenly distributed. The little black dress is never under dressed, it's low key enough that it's never over the top, and it's something you can always wear again.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Definitely concur with the LBD. Invest in a classic that will last for years. You can accessorize to fit the season, trends, and formality of the event.

Big, statement, costume, jewelry is the current trend if you want to go that way, but you can never go wrong with a strand of perfect pearls or a classic gold necklace.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

I agree... think business attire with added bling and a higher heel. =)
Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

so when is the party?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.