Notices

Wii Fit

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wii Fit

Hubby and I are looking for options to keep us active. We were fit athletes when we met and now are both obese. I know we need something that keeps us motivated and interested. Has anyone use the Wii or Wii Fit? What programs / games do you recommend? Is is worth the investment? What do and don't you like about the Wii for exercise / activity?

p.s. we are empty nesters, so this is really just for us...so if there is a better product out there, please advise.

Thanks a Million.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hiya, Bubbs. I saw your note in the 100+ thread, and sounds like you're off to a great start. Congratulations, and keep up the good work!

I have a wii, and recently got wii fit with the balance board. I also have EA Sports Active 1 & 2, and the regular wii sports game which has things like tennis, bowling, etc. I don't have experience with other game systems for exercise.

I find the wii to be a great way to mix in some different kind of movement from my regular gym routine. In fact, I think I'd credit the wii in general with getting me moving to begin with.

The wii sports pack is pretty basic, but a lot of fun and you can definitely get a little workout from it, especially playing tennis and boxing, both fun with a partner.

Wii fit is awesome. It has a real variety of activities, many focusing on balance and strengthening/toning, and they are varied and fun so you don't get bored. You can absolutely work it in a way that you get a strong strength and cardio workout, or cherry pick to have fun and just do a little movement. The balance board is really key to getting the most out of the program, as everything gets more challenging when you're trying to keep proper form, and it does a good job of telling you if you're off. I highly recommend it.

Finally, EA Sports Active is more like a hardcore workout. It can be tuned up or down for beginners to advanced, and you can vary the inclusion of exercises, length of the program, etc. It isn't un-fun, but nothing in the neighborhood of the wii fit. That said, it can produce a serious workout for when that's what you want. I have had no trouble keeping it tuned just above my ability, and it pushes me very hard. If you consider this program make sure you get the most recent version which has far superior leg and wrist straps that track movement and also measure heart rate to keep you in a proper zone for what you're trying to accomplish.

All this stuff could be considered a bit pricey, but if you can afford it I highly recommend it. Again, it helps keep things varied, keeps your body guessing in a good way, can be very fun to do with a friend or partner, and is convenient as all get out when you want to stay in.

Good luck!

Matt
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Matt. Much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I usually do WiiFit Plus on the weekends. It is a fun change from my workday walks. I also play Tetris Party using the balance board sometimes. In general the Wii is a good motivator to get you off the couch.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-16-2011, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

I have been using the Wii Shape. It's a great program. It re-evalutes you every 9th workout and tweeks the workout based on the evalution. It uses a camera so you are hands free. The only issue I have is that the camera is sensitive to light in the room. It's a little fussy. I have dark furniture in the background so I have to cover it with a light colored blanket so the camera will pick me up. It does work well though. I have lost about 35 pounds in about 8 months. I have to admit, I have not been dieting at all, just exercising and still have lost the weight. I have also done the EA actives as well. I like them as well, but I get many more calories burned on the Shape game. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

I forgot to mention my girlfriend loves loves loves the Cardio Boxing game. I think it's very neat too, but the couple of times I tried it it kind of exposed my very bad rhythm! You have to sort of rock or bounce on your feet in time while you throw punches, and I'm kind of a clutz. It is a good workout though and pretty fun.