Notices

Alright Coffee Lovers...

Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default Alright Coffee Lovers...

Are any of you out there? I just started on this website and on my exercise/diet routine to get back into shape! However, my one vice is I cannot give up my morning coffee. I know caffeine isn't great for you, neither is the sugar... but are any of you maintaining your goals and still being able to drink your coffee? I just got a pretty expensive espresso machine for Christmas and it wouldn't be right to not use it, right?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by dancerinjade
Are any of you out there? I just started on this website and on my exercise/diet routine to get back into shape! However, my one vice is I cannot give up my morning coffee. I know caffeine isn't great for you, neither is the sugar... but are any of you maintaining your goals and still being able to drink your coffee? I just got a pretty expensive espresso machine for Christmas and it wouldn't be right to not use it, right?
I drink a lot of coffee. It is not all bad for you--there have been studies that say it contains antioxidants and that the caffiene can help boost your metabolism.

I drink it black--no contaminants such as milk, creamer or any of that nonsense.

The cons of coffee drinking are that even black if does have a few calories, caffiene can raise bloodpressure and supposedly you need to drink more water to offset it.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

I'll drink a cup before my morning run and then a couple more at work.
I also use a fat free non dairy creamer, or fat free half n half with a little raw sugar.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
I drink a lot of coffee. It is not all bad for you--there have been studies that say it contains antioxidants and that the caffiene can help boost your metabolism.

I drink it black--no contaminants such as milk, creamer or any of that nonsense.

The cons of coffee drinking are that even black if does have a few calories, caffiene can raise bloodpressure and supposedly you need to drink more water to offset it.

Regards,
Michael
I personally don't believe that coffee is any good for you, esp. instant coffee is said to be almost a poison, studies that show 'benefit' of antioxidants are sponsored by coffee companies. Despite knowing that, I do drink coffee with all the usual contaminats (LOL Michael ) I have about 3 cups a week with 1.5% milk and one ordinary sugar.
It's true that coffee and caffeine generally raises metabolism and makes you alert, but when you digest caffeine regularly, your body becomes accustomed to it. It doesn't give you that kick anymore, in fact some people can't function normally without their morning fix.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by MunaAmin
I personally don't believe that coffee is any good for you, esp. instant coffee is said to be almost a poison, studies that show 'benefit' of antioxidants are sponsored by coffee companies. Despite knowing that, I do drink coffee with all the usual contaminats (LOL Michael ) I have about 3 cups a week with 1.5% milk and one ordinary sugar.
It's true that coffee and caffeine generally raises metabolism and makes you alert, but when you digest caffeine regularly, your body becomes accustomed to it. It doesn't give you that kick anymore, in fact some people can't function normally without their morning fix.
Ha ha--I wouldn't call that brown stuff you spoon into hot water "coffee"! This is for dire emergencies only, and even then....

I agree, one is probably better off w/o stimulants like this, but hey, we can't give up "everything". And as vices go, I think good coffee is one of the more harmless ones.

Regards,
Michael

PS Anyone roast their own? I haven't had time for a while now, but if you've never had REALLY fresh roasted (from good beans) coffee, you haven't really had coffee. And, coffee is really only "fresh" for about a week.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's about compromising. If something is important to you, find the healthiest alternative you can if you can't give it up.

I'm not a coffee drinker at all, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But if someone asked me to give up my tea first thing in the AM, I would become homicidal. So I didn't give it up and I don't feel bad about it, or about the raw sugar I put in it. No matter how hard you try, you can't do it all perfectly.

There are health benefits being postulated with respect to caffeine and coffee and tea, however, and not all just sponsored by the coffee companies. In my continuing ed seminars, I've gone to a number on nutrition, and the research is coming out of universities studying Alzheimer's, heart health, and cancer, among others. However, the current thought is that you have to drink a good bit...like 5 cups a day...to achieve benefits. As always, the research is emerging, not a be all, end all.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

I personally can't live without my morning coffee. My favourite part of the day is when I have my coffee in the living room while reading the paper or browsing on my laptop or even knitting sometimes. It's such a cozy time of day for me that I wouldn't dream of giving it up. I limit myself to this one coffee per day and I don't feel the least bit guilty about having it.

I drink my coffee with almond milk. The brand I like is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla and it's low carb, lactose free, and soy free. Plus it only has 40 calories per cup and for me it's naturally sweet enough so that I don't have to add sugar.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

There is no life without coffee so I must have it. So that's that. But I drink it black so it's not and issue of sugar or anything so at least that's good. Maybe you can use that as your incentive for the day. " I've already splurged on sugar in my coffee so I MUST be active and eat well today!" How did that sound? Well it's worth a try anyway. you think? Good luck with all of it coffee and all.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

I usually have some form of caffeine in the morning. I used to be a die-hard Diet Coke drinker, but accidentally got turned on to coffee with some free samples of bottled Starbucks. Anyhow, DH will tell you that I actually don't drink coffee, what I drink is coffee flavored hot chocolate. I'm with mtlgirl on the almond milk only I use the "light" version for 60 calories/cup, and then I stir in either 1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder or a couple of packets of Splenda with fiber. Not to over share, but I find that coffee helps to get things moving, both my mind and my GI track are a little better off with it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Like a lot of you, I can't live without a cup or two in the morning and sometimes the afternoon too. I drink it black -- never a problem when its the good quality, high octane stuff. I'm with mtlgirl on the knitting and coffee combo -- turns out I'm a skilled knitter when I've had enough. If not, I'm just flailing around.

On a fun side note, the brand I get is super hippie-ish; delivered by bike (!), locally roasted, fair trade, shade grown, bird friendly deliciousness. You pay a little bit extra, but its so worth it. I'm on the road a lot for work, so I grind enough for the week and bring it with -- it smells up my truck and hotel room and its totally intoxicating!

I get better workouts when I've had an appropriate amount of coffee and I'm more productive throughout the day. People say they've never seen me mad, but they've never seen me without my coffee!!

P.S. I used to be accustomed to having something sweet with my coffee, like a muffin or biscotti, back in college. I think this is like the equivalent of having to have pizza or wings with beer. I'd encourage anyone who's in this camp to start weaning themselves off the habit -- drinking really good coffee helped me, but I think the almond milk discussed above would be great too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.