Figuring out allowances >

Figuring out allowances

Community
Notices

Figuring out allowances

Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Figuring out allowances

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - wasn't sure where to post it.
I'm very confused. I have absolutely no idea how to work out my daily limits for fats, proteins, carbs, cals etc. Is it entirely down to personal preference? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default It depends

It really depends on what plan you are following. You should do a little research on the web. The American Heart Association might have some recommendations.

There is a lot of controversy between protein and carbs. There is some research that more protein makes you feel fuller and is beneficial for weight loss. I tend to keep carbs relatively high because I do a lot of endurance activities like running, biking and swimming.

It seems like the opinion I have seen is to try to keep fat at least below 30%.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by splosh313
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - wasn't sure where to post it.
I'm very confused. I have absolutely no idea how to work out my daily limits for fats, proteins, carbs, cals etc. Is it entirely down to personal preference? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
40/40/20 pro/carb/fat is a common approach in bb diets.
pro and fats keep u fuller longer and are a neccesity for many bodily functions, carbs are the least important of the 3 and also digest quicker and also spike ur blood sugar levels which can lead to fat storage if ur eating too many calories.
i would eat a gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight, have 2 serves of fruit a day, (blueberries and grapefruit have shown to help weight loss) have oats for breakfast and sweet potato and lots green veges for dinner, along with ur protein source(meat).
all other meals just pro and fat and lots green veg if u can. try to eat 5-6 meals a day.
fats should be healthy selections, almonds, fish oil, olive oil, avacado, natural peanut butter.
try 2800 cal for start and grad reduce, depends upon ur exercise duration and intencity also.
1kg a week is good pace if ur only after weight loss in general
Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

You might want to take a couple weeks with each ratio of p/c/f and see how you feel mentally, physically, GI regularity, etc. You have to find a plan that works for you in the long-term, and no cookie-cutter plan is going to necessarily work for you.

Just to illustrate that no two people's plans are alike, my ideal ratio is 45% fat and 20% or more protein, with the remainder carbs. However, I'm also a strength athlete and burn off a lot of fat naturally, so that's why it can work for me. You'll have to find something that fits your lifestyle and activity level without getting in the way of your daily life.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

well at least i now have some idea where to start, thanks. i'll give 40/40/20 pro/carb/fat a try and then adapt if i feel the need to - it's all coming together!