Notices

Confused and need help.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Question Confused and need help.

I am trying to lose weight and be healthy. I'm not dieting but making better choices. I'm watching what I eat and working out. I have 90 lb to lose my goal is my christmas this year. However my problem now is that I heard you shouldn't eat dinner past 6 pm. I don't get off work till 630. I have been eating powerbars thinking that it would be a meal replacement but instead of the scale going down it went up. Now I did lift weight this week and didnt do any cardio. But my question is should I eat a energy bar to replace dinner of is it okay to eat late. I work out after my kids go to bed. So I will be working out at least 4 time a week. Any advice will help.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

I've heard all that too, but when you hear that advice they never couple it with what time you should get out of bed or go to sleep. It also doesn't take in to account the life of a 3rd shifter. Last Christmas I was exactly where you stand today. I have lost 90+ pounds in the last year and what I know to be true is that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight over time. That whole 6:00pm nonsense is to keep people from raiding the cupboards all evening long while they veg out in front of the TV. And I'm certain for some folks it's a great diet technique, simply because they do tend to overeat in the evenings.

Personally I would not eat a Powerbar over having a well made nutritious dinner. There is nothing wrong with Powerbars per se, it's just that they don't taste better than a real meal and fairly soon you will get burned out on them and maybe fall off the wagon. Also eating a Powerbar instead of eating dinner with your family isn't great for the kids.

The best advice I can give you is to measure your portions and make sure you are logging them correctly, not just eyeballing it. The other thing you want to make sure is that you are getting enough protein and drinking enough water, 64 baseline + 8 oz for every 10 pounds you want to lose. When you workout, you break the muscles down and they need protein in order to repair themselves.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Rebba,
I'm a newbie too, and I've read a lot of posts by almeeker, and they give really good common sense advice. Like today's. There are a million do's and don'ts I've heard too. Like one of the the banner on this site, never eat bananas? That sounds just stupid. Bananas are an excellent source of nutrients and low cal too! almeeker's advice rings true for me also, a thoughtful response.
I wanted to say that I really love your comment
"I'm not dieting but making better choices."
That's what I am telling myself, this is a choice to be fit for life. We can do it!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default fiber

Hi I joined a couple of days ago. Found out about this site through "Atkins Diet" which I am now on. I really like the fitday program as it calculates your intake for you but......it doesn't subtract the fiber from the Carbs. Is there anyway that I could contact the company and ask them if they could add a formula that would subtract the fiber so that ony the NET CARBS would be added to the daily intake. That would be sooooo helpful.

Veronicamary
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Veronicamary
Hi I joined a couple of days ago. Found out about this site through "Atkins Diet" which I am now on. I really like the fitday program as it calculates your intake for you but......it doesn't subtract the fiber from the Carbs. Is there anyway that I could contact the company and ask them if they could add a formula that would subtract the fiber so that ony the NET CARBS would be added to the daily intake. That would be sooooo helpful.

Veronicamary
You can post in the "Support and Feedback" subforum. I understand TPTB review that once in a while for ideas.

Regards,
Michael

PS Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by RebbaJackson
I am trying to lose weight and be healthy. I'm not dieting but making better choices. I'm watching what I eat and working out. I have 90 lb to lose my goal is my christmas this year. However my problem now is that I heard you shouldn't eat dinner past 6 pm. I don't get off work till 630. I have been eating powerbars thinking that it would be a meal replacement but instead of the scale going down it went up. Now I did lift weight this week and didnt do any cardio. But my question is should I eat a energy bar to replace dinner of is it okay to eat late. I work out after my kids go to bed. So I will be working out at least 4 time a week. Any advice will help.
I've read from more than one source that studies have show the "don't eat after xx:xx" to be a myth. The total number of calories per day is what counts.

Personally, I like to eat food. I suppose if you're late for work or something a powerbar would be OK--better than skipping breakfast anyway. Otherwise, I'd pass on them.

In any case, if you do your exercise, log your food intake and stick with it, I know you'll succeed!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

No teeth to the "don't eat after X" advice. It was thought that because digestion slows down at night that somehow eating a few hours before bed would cause your body to convert more calories to body fat. Actually, in the morning when you get up, the body just picks up where it left off digesting the previous night. No harm no foul.

This also kind of kills the myth that one absolutely must eat breakfast because the body is in a fasted state. Some people on the forums eat breakfast because they like the boost to their energy (via a boost to their metabolism) early in the day. Others, like me, just feel sick and slow after an early breakfast and choose to skip it.

Just concentrate on both the quantity and quality of the calories you are eating, and the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the advise.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

I use to believe in the don't eat after "xx" time, not any more. If I wake up at 3am (which i usually do) and I'm hungry, I eat (which I usually do)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Well, I'm no expert but I can tell you that it seems that we have similar issues. I to want to loose about 90 pounds. I started this adventure in April. So far I have lost 35 pounds. I am NOT dieting either. I have been doing the Wii shape and have recently added running/walking to my program. I am "watching" what I eat but if I want a cookie, I eat it. I have found that when I do cardio for at least 45 minutes 5 times a week, eat well and drink LOTS of water, the pounds just melt away. Over Christmas was difficult to get my work outs in but I made up my mind that I was ok just maintaining. The key is the cardio. You have to get your metabolism moving. As far as eating dinner late. I have always heard not to eat within two hours of bed, it sounds as if you will be working out afterward, so I think you would be fine, just make lunch your big meal and dinner a smaller meal. You probably don't want to eat alot for dinner and then work out anyways, it might make you sick. Hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.