Notices

Not sure food calculator is accurate.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Not sure food calculator is accurate.

This morning I sauteed 2oz of each of the following ingredients: mushroom, tomato and onion using a non-stick pan from the water of the mushrooms and tomatoes. Then scrambled two large eggs, poured over top of mixture and cooked until done. No use of any butter or oils. I also had one 6 oz glass of orange juice. Not sure my percentages should look like the following. Could any explain or do you just use this site for calorie counting as I believe I am going to do from this point forward.

Fat (42%) Carbs (37%) Protein (21%)

Thanks,
John
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I don't think that looks unreasonable--what "type" of eggs to did you enter? If you entered them as "raw", that might reduce the fat a bit, but that's pretty much what eggs are--protein and fat. And the OJ, 'shrooms and onions are mostly carbs.

When you get all your food in for the day, your pie chart may look more reasonable, too, as these are percentages of what you've entered.

None of this is "exact", anyway--in this case I thing "close" is close enough. If you really suspect your figures are way off, you could do a little math and see if the numbers match.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Michael...yes, I know it isn't exact and I use it as a guide not the bible. I must tell you. I am amazed at your weight loss and very proud of you. My Mother was over 350 most of her adult life. Unfortunately she was never able to take it off and the weight eventually took her life at 64 in 1999. Keep up the great work and get healthy!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Looks about right to me. If you put it all in as raw plus boiled eggs the % change is minimal.

Like mecompco said, your chart will probably even out at the end of the day. Mine usually does.

ETA: It must have been hard to lose your mother that way, sorry.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 01-08-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes with veggies, if you just search "mushrooms," for example, it assumes they are prepared in fat. If you actually go to Browse Foods, you have an option for "prepared without fat." It makes a big difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kodeski
Michael...yes, I know it isn't exact and I use it as a guide not the bible. I must tell you. I am amazed at your weight loss and very proud of you. My Mother was over 350 most of her adult life. Unfortunately she was never able to take it off and the weight eventually took her life at 64 in 1999. Keep up the great work and get healthy!
I'm very sorry to hear about your Mom. My whole family (with the exception of one sister) struggled and is struggling with this problem. I've gained and lost probably a thousand pounds. I plan for this to be the last time, so I sure appreciate the kind words.

Sometimes I think we (me) get bogged down in the numbers--I don't think other than having our own lab that we can know "exactly" what the nutritional makeup of our food is. I think the best we can do is to make our best informed guess. You're right on thinking of it as a "guide".

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

It does sound right to me. Most of the fat in eggs comes from the yolk, and the protein comes from the whites Try modifying your recipe to 3 eggwhites and only 1 egg yolk. You'll be surprised how much you really don't miss the yolk. Still has lots of flavor and you are reducing your fat dramically.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default calorie counter

i keep down the cals in the food i eat by the labels and measuring and then i create custom foods a lot. it doesn't have the accuracy of the other things (carbs etc) but since i am counting cals as well this is usually more accurate for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Just discovered an AMAZING website for figuring out the nutritional info for homemade recipes. You can add the entire recipe, divide into portions and it gives you a nutrition label to match this site's custom food label. Check it out : Recipe Calculator

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Cjohnson's reply above is a good one, I think. I added each food specifying "fat not added in cooking" and came up with fat 35%, carb 42%, and protein 23%. I've found that the assumption always is that you're cooking in butter, or something, and you have to be pretty specific when you add a new food...
Pete