Notices

To: Site Manager -- Does "Lifestyle" activity include sleep?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default To: Site Manager -- Does "Lifestyle" activity include sleep?

Hi there - can someone please tell me if the baseline "lifestyle" activity calorie count includes sleeping? Or by NOT entering X hours of sleep, am I over-estimating my daily calories burned?
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by eldowns
Hi there - can someone please tell me if the baseline "lifestyle" activity calorie count includes sleeping? Or by NOT entering X hours of sleep, am I over-estimating my daily calories burned?
Thanks!
Hi there. I'm not the "manager", but this topic comes up from time to time to time. I've been told that the "lifestyle" does take into account eight hours of sleep. That being said, I always add sleep to my daily activities as many people are of the opinion that FitDay's calorie burn calculations are a bit optimistic (bearing in mind that calorie burn/basal metabolism is, at best, an informed guesstimate). Doing it this way seems for me (and you may be different) to work out pretty close to reality.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

I may be wrong but I don't think it includes sleep, so I figure it in. I had info from another site that lined up with this site but it's on my other computer. I'll see if I can find it when I get to it and post it up.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I may be wrong but I don't think it includes sleep, so I figure it in. I had info from another site that lined up with this site but it's on my other computer. I'll see if I can find it when I get to it and post it up.
Ha ha, Mike, I thought is was you who told me it did. Must have been someone else when I raised the question back along.

In any case, I think it's wise to check with a few different calculators and perhaps go with the average. One can always adjust up or down to match "reality" (assuming one carefully tracks one's caloric intake).

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

okay, lets look at me. 5'8 male, 39 yrs. old, 174 lbs.

1st lets compare to another site Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and find the BMR for me. You'll get 1685 cals.

Now go to fitday and enter a custom baseline of 1685

Now lets go back here Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and change it to little/no exercise (desk job) b/c I have a desk job and I'll account for my exercise under my activities. You get 2022 calories.

Now go back to FitDay and under Lifestyle Activity Level, check off seated all day.

Now go to your activities on FD and look. Without any sleep it shows 2401 calories. Once you figure in 8hrs you come up with 2106, not dead on but close to the other site.

I found a different site, I can't seem to find it but the numbers were dead on. I may be wrong and looking at this this wrong way... but that's what I've found.

Maybe whomever created the software can chime in...
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input! sounds like i should add sleep....dang!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

okay, I just heard from Admin and I'm told that it is factored in and shouldn't be logged unless you get an abnormal amount of sleep.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default Activity Reporting

In the activity log, are we supposed to log in our hours of sleeping every night? Or does the lifestyle estimate already take that into consideration?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

I was recently told that it's figured in, my calculations tell me something else, so I log mine. Some people do, some don't.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I log my sleep also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.