View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #207 (permalink)
mecompco
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuli View Post
I am new here and I wondered if someone can tell me how to go about finding out how many calories I need to eat per day to lose weight. And where do you go on fitday to show your progress as I see some of you have it down after your message to everyone. I too need to lose AlOT of weight!!
Tsuli, welcome! Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

You need to enter your current height, weight and age into FitDay, and pick an average daily "lifestyle". FitDay will then calculate your basal metabolism. This is an estimate of how many caloried your body burns every day just to keep you alive. Basically, the bigger you are and the more you move, the higher the burn is. You can add "activites" (basically any sort of movement and/or "real" exercise) to increase the daily burn rate.

Once you get that figure, you need to know that it takes approximately 3,500 calories to burn one pound of fat.

So, if you want to burn one pound a week, you need a calorie defeciet of 3,500--in other words, you need to burn 3,500 calories MORE than you take in.

So, if you burn, say, 21,000 calories a week (which is what I figure I do), you would need to eat no more than 17,500 calories a week to burn one pound in that week.

This is all approximate and you may need to make adjustments as you go. Every body responds differently, so bear that in mind.

If you have other questions, please let us know!

Regards,
Michael

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote