Notices

How hard do you push yourself?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default How hard do you push yourself?

I've been nearing my weight loss goals (within 10 lbs) and I'm starting to workout more with weights in an effort to tone and build muscle. I'm very much out of shape. I haven't worked out in more than 25 years and have had a desk job for the last 12 years. I wanted to do the P90X program but it is not withing my ability at this time. I've started the P90 program and I am about half way through it. I've also been doing the Couch to 5K program when the weather cooperates. I've already ran 5K a couple of times, albeit a slow pace.

In my recent weight lifting workouts on th P90 program I have stepped up the intensity a little bit. Doing push-ups to failure followed by max squats. This is the end of the workout and I'm already pretty spent. The last few times these two things have pushed me to the verge of puking. I'm very nauseated for a while after the workouts.

I've read that this is fairly normal and lots of people can push themselves to the point of getting sick. I've even read in some forums that some guys feel like this is the times when they experience the most muscle growth.

I really hate feeling nauseous, but I want to get into shape. Is this all part of it, or am I just that bad out of shape? I haven't puked yet, but that's because I always lighten up a bit when the feeling hits. I don't have a Bob or Jillian pushing me to spew.

How hard do you push yourself? Do you puke like those people on "The Biggest Loser"?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 AM
FitDay Member

First of all - congrats on your weight loss!!

Haven't puked yet but I can feel it in my throat sometimes (gross)!! I, too, just slow down a bit when that happens.

I think 36 mins. is a great time for 5K. I would love to have that time. My first (and only so far) 5K I finished in 46 minutes. I have just decided that I am sloooow. Whatever, at least I am out there dong something!!

I have P90X and it is great and super challenging. If you ever have the opportunity to purchase it you should. It will probably get you where you want to be physically.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

'Old School' coaches used to push athletes to the point of puking. This is really counterproductive. Besides the dehydration factor you leave no nutrients for muscles or energy recovery. Listen to your body and ease up when it tells you. Puking has no positive benefits.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

If you want to build muscle you have to do one of two things:

Lift heavy and lift progressively heavier or:

Lift until failure every time

I choose progressive loading. Lifting until failure is not really practical when you are barbell squatting a lot of weight, since you need to be in control. Another bonus with progressive loading is time invested. You still get the most out of a short time period because you progressively make the workouts harder by adding resistance. With lifting to failure doing bodyweight exercise you are bound to require more and more reps which = more time spent doing a workout.

Its the same with slow cardio vs HIIT.

I'm not one for spending the entire day in the gym.

OP if you are looking to build some muscle and some real functional strength and have access to a barbell and plates (preferably a power rack,) check out these two programs.

StrongLifts.com: Strength and Muscle Building Strategies without The Bull

Starting Strength Wiki
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Generally I will push myself until my form breaks down (not to failure, since this implies squeezing out some reps with bad form until you can't move any more). This way I can avoid injuries and ingrain good movement patterns (helps with posture and not having your joints break down in 20 years).

That said, I occasionally love a good challenge that leaves me hunched over a trash can or winded and collapsed on the floor. It's good for character and testing your limits. But I only do this sparingly, as in 2-3 times per year. Generally speaking, puking is one of the most catabolic things you can do to your body. It depletes vitamins and forces your muscles to break down other muscles to get the protein they need to rebuild. Not exactly a productive venture for regular workouts.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

I drive myself to dry heavesville & light headded valley quite often.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

I usually workout with very little in my stomach (maybe a banana or piece of toast), so no I don't drive myself to puking. However there are times when I work out after dinner and sometimes I get a little sick feeling from the treadmill if I push it for more than 10-15 minutes. Have you considered working out in the morning before you eat?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't think the puking was a good idea. It really does sound counterproductive. I will continue to try escalate my training by increasing weight as best I can for now. If I get too nauseated I will slow down or take a break. It seems to be the legs that trigger it the most.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
FitDay Member

When I go to gym the first exercise i do push up.The push up maintain our body and spam. you can also do and then you feel i was right.

spamming our forum will result in banning, please do not register under another account, this will also result in banning. Thanks. 01gt4.6

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-07-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by roniman
When I go to gym the first exercise i do push up.The push up maintain our body and spam. you can also do and then you feel i was right.

What the?

Yeah push-ups are a good warm up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.