Thread: Fasting
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
mecompco
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunbikeSki View Post
I have used 3 to 7 day fasts to kick-off a reduced calorie diet program several times over the last few years. Sometimes I have used a juice fast and recently I did the "Master Cleanse" or "Lemonade" diet.

It seems to have several benefits for me. As noted above, once you get past the first 2 days the hunger pangs do deminish - although for me they never totally go away. I definitely get the energy boost tauted by many, and it makes me examine my normal eating and drinking habits carefully and assess what I can, or need, to give up for a while. It also makes me realize how pervasive food advertising and the availability of food (mostly fast food) is. I never realized how bombarded we are with it until I stopped eating for a while.

My main reason for beginning a low calorie cycle with a fast is that I find it easier to say "no" to everything and then add back in the good foods I plan to rely on for the next couple of months, rather than continuing to eat nearly normally, but saying "no" to a few of the "bad" foods.

For the record I have pretty good eating habits, don't eat much fast or processed food, but I am a true "foodie" and like to eat well. I also don't really think that there are any "bad" foods, just some foods should be reserved for special occassions. In general, portion control is mostly the issue for me and I have a tendency to drink a little more good beer and wine then I should given my size and gender (smallish female), if I am not paying attention.

I definitely lose a few pounds quickly, but about half of them come back as soon as I resume more normal eating habits. But the good feelings of energy and vitality stick around. I do recommend fasting, but contrary to popular advertising, I don't think that it is some miracle csure, just another tool in the tool box.
I didn't get into this, but yes, fasting can really help you (well, me at least) break some bad habits. Now, as to hunger, I'm not sure if you did just water? I've a feeling that if you consume "some" calories (such as juice) that you're going to stay hungry.

Good point about the advertising--I noticed the same bombardment of food ads on TV--it's crazy.

So, fastings certainly not for everyone and as a purely weight-loss strategy I don't think it's a good idea but if you want to do it for "cleansing", breaking bad habits, etc. it can be a good experience.

Disclaimer: Always do this under a doctor's supervision.

Regards,
Michael

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote