Notices

Gluten

Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
FitDay Member

Default Gluten

A

Last edited by PatriciaU; 08-12-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I want to delete this post
Old 08-12-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

I too have to eat GF but don't think there alot of others on this board.
Keep posting.........
Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
FitDay Member

Hmm, I'm not sure what the OP said, since it's been deleted, but I've been almost completely gluten free for about a year. I may as well post something on the subject.

I was having dizzy spells throughout the day, and spent a few years wondering what the heck was wrong with me. For some reason, I decided to give a GF diet a try, and the dizzy spells went away. Once every few months I'll have a slice of cake or something, and I'll get a wave of dizziness sometime in the next day or two, but at least I know what it is, and it only lasts a few minutes.

The only difficulty with a gf diet is that I've got nothing to spread peanut butter on except rice cakes, which always seem to be too crumbled up. (Yeah, I know they make GF breads and crackers, but I've never tried any of that stuff, and it's not sold at the store I shop at.)
Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

Glad to read your post. Any info helps me along the way. I did try the GF bread and waffles. Waffles made me sick. Bread ok but $6.49 Krogers for about 20 slices/loaf. Too pricey for me. And it's full of sugar. Want to go to a Whole Foods Store sometime and see what they have. We don't live near any specialty stores!

Last night had a delish salad with grilled shrimp on it a oil type dressing tasted no sugar but woke up to 2 new lbs. Go figure. ??

Do you know if we should be eating more fat or more protein?
Thanks........
Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
FitDay Member

I live completely without any intake of gluten (I have celiac disease) and I'm a vegetarian going vegan. Which means: veggies veggies veggies! I dont eat bread any more at all, occasionally have some crisp bread, but mostly I eat fruit, veggies and veggie smoothies. One should keep track on the nutrition intake though. And remember that carbs are not the enemy, its the amount and the type of carbs. So eat some beans so your brain will keep working properly and your bones wont get brittle. But bread is really not necessary, it's just difficult to drop from your diet completely because it's what we've grown up with, and what we're used to, but it's absolutely doable
Good luck!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

Well said. Everybody needs some Carbs just not a ton of them. GF has really helped me to have a normal life!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Word from the peanut gallery!

Originally Posted by elderwanda
Hmm, I'm not sure what the OP said, since it's been deleted, but I've been almost completely gluten free for about a year. I may as well post something on the subject.

I was having dizzy spells throughout the day, and spent a few years wondering what the heck was wrong with me. For some reason, I decided to give a GF diet a try, and the dizzy spells went away. Once every few months I'll have a slice of cake or something, and I'll get a wave of dizziness sometime in the next day or two, but at least I know what it is, and it only lasts a few minutes.

The only difficulty with a gf diet is that I've got nothing to spread peanut butter on except rice cakes, which always seem to be too crumbled up. (Yeah, I know they make GF breads and crackers, but I've never tried any of that stuff, and it's not sold at the store I shop at.)
Morning, just read your post and wanted to share with you my peanut butter holder recipe....celery! It is the only way I will eat celery is with a smidgeon of peanut butter in them. Have heard people using pb as a dip for sliced apples too! Hope this give you more options, Carren
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Evelyn,

My name is Gina and your post caught my attention because I am also 5'2" and age 43...will be 44 Jan. 23rd and my starting weight this past Sunday was 159 lbs. Goal weight is 120 lbs. by June. I also am trying the GF thing...was having dizzy spells as well off and on and didn't start the gluten free thing because of that because it never crossed my mind. I just have a lot of digestive issues and thought maybe that was the issue. I am with you on not having anything to spread peanut butter on! I did some reading and Walmart is making a big push over the last several months to carry more and more GF products. They have like 890 products available...now this is new to me and I didn't see that many the other day while I was there. The article said it was mainly the Great Value brand that they offered GF products in. Anyway...if you find anything that is better than rice cakes please let me know. Good luck!
Gina
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
FitDay Member

We make homemade quickbreads for my granddaughter. But hey, she is allergic to peanut butter as well, so we buy peabutter.
I found a rice wrap that she can have in the freezer section, but in general, she can't have most GF bakery items because she is also egg and dairy free.

My daughter has a recipe for pizza crust that works great. Since she is also allergic to tomato, we make a lentil sauce to put on it and grate polenta on top of that.

I can eat GF but I don't have to unless I am cooking for my granddaughter as well.