Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Success Stories
Only gaining 1.5lbs over a very difficult Christmas period. >

Only gaining 1.5lbs over a very difficult Christmas period.

Notices

Only gaining 1.5lbs over a very difficult Christmas period.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Only gaining 1.5lbs over a very difficult Christmas period.

OK, so it's not the most inspirational success story, and who really wants to jump up and down about a gain? However, after the hell of a Christmas/New Year my family and I have had I really am happy about that.

Last time I weighed myself was on the 17th of December and I was 226.5lbs. Two days later I was struck down with swine flu and my Mum was taken to hospital with swine flu, pneumonia and pleurisy. She was in Intensive Care over Christmas and at one point we thought she wasn't going to make it.
I struggled with being unable to get out of bed, having to look after my 4 year old little brother and trying to keep my family from falling apart. (3 males and myself in a house = disaster)

For much of the time I couldn't eat solids, and lived on shop bought smoothies/milkshakes. I was drinking 2-3 litres of them a day plus water, squash and Pepsi Max. When I finally felt up to eating that was all I actually did, consuming at least 3000 calories a day and really not caring. I was comfort eating all the way, and not a decent thing passed my lips for the best part of a week.

Thankfully everything is beginning to return to normal. My Mum is home, though may have to have an operation to clean her lung in a couple of weeks. (Fingers crossed that will not be the case.) We had Christmas day on New Year's eve, and I started back at the gym yesterday. I may gain a few more pounds if my binging has yet to catch up with me, but I am pleased that I came out the other side of December even wanting to continue my journey. I do feel like I'm kinda back at the beginning in regards to my food cravings, and I'm having to cut down slowly rather than go completely cold turkey. But I have the knowledge to balance my meals and compensate for this, so I'm not too worried.

Others may see my gain as a failure regardless of what I say, but I just wanted people to know that no matter what happens it is possible to recover and get back on it!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry to hear about you and your families health struggles. I admire your attitude. Many here, including myself, would have taken only a 1.5 pound gain for the holidays rather than our larger numbers. Don't let a tiny bump diminish the success you have already had. The 70 pounds you have already lost shows you have the determination and knowledge to reach your goals. Congratulations and here is wishing you success in the new year.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

I would say that after all you went through, 1.5 pounds and your positive attitude are indeed a resounding success! I am glad you are on the mend and that your mom's problems are resolving also. I admire your gentleness with yourself and also your commitment to get back in the saddle.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

glad to see you are back on track after a very emotional rollercoaster!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

You can't see me, but I'm standing up and clapping for you. I think your resolve deserves a resounding ovation. And I'm so glad to hear that mum is on the mend. I had H1N1 over Thanksgiving and I just kept thinking that I'm a middle aged woman in relatively good health, if I hadn't been it really might have killed me.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

I hope everything gets better for you in the new year and Yay for not giving in to giving up!