Notices

Butter v Margarine??

Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Default Butter v Margarine??

Which do you choose, and why?

Granted, it's a no-brainer that a number of healthy oils are better than either, but out of the two, which do you prefer?

Have you succumbed to the "margarine is one molecule away from plastic" urban legend, or are you hung up on avoiding saturated fat? Something else make the decision?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Good 'ol butter for me, in moderation, of course. I've been there, done that with all the fake stuff. In moderation, I don't think there is anything wrong with a little saturated fat. Just my opinion, and Lord knows I've been wrong before!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

I usually go with low fat whipped margarine. A pound tub of margarine last me about 4 times as long as a pound of butter. Once in while I will have butter and remember why I like it, however that also leads to bread and butter -- one of my stronger temptations -- margarine and bread does not lead to those triple servings.

Mary
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

We use a combination in this house. Spray for veggies and sometimes toast, margarine for cooking and toast, butter for baking. I used to buy only one kind of margarine and I bought it every week, but then the kids were diagnosed with food allergies and the DH was diagnosed with high cholesterol and I became some sort of coupon freak and won't pay full price for anything, so we've run the gamut with different kinds. And no, I do not buy into the whole "margarine is one molecule away from plastic" urban legend. If I did then I would have to give up water too, since it's only one step away from being hydrogen.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

And hydrogen makes you explode?

Mostly margarine, because it's easier, and not very much. On toast or a tiny bit to fry an egg usually. Certain recipes just have to be butter, but it's mostly holiday foods.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

Well I don't think margarine is one step away from plastic but it just doesn't seem all that natural to me. Plus, it's usually high in inflammatory omega-6 fats so I stay away from it altogether. Plus, butter tastes better.

However, I also rarely eat bread so it's usually not an issue for me. If I'm cooking it's usually olive oil or coconut oil, but I'll insist on cooking meat and veggies intended for chili in butter.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

For cooking, I use canola or olive oil. For a lot of years we had to avoid sunflower oil and when my mom visits I can't use corn oil.

For vegetables, I prefer natures full flavor without salt or butter.

For baking, I use margarine.

I personally only use butter for baked potato skins and toast. On average, I have baked potato skins no more that twice a year because I don't like pototoes in general and need someone to share with. I would only have toast when there is not much else in the kitchen or I found a specialty bread in the discount bin.

As far as I am concerned, there are too many ingredients in margarine to make it a healthy choice. Soy being one of those ingredients and I consider soy most unhealthy. There are a few margarines that are soy free, but not many.

Edited to explain my recent thoughts on dairy, which includes butter.

My daughter has seizures triggered by hormone fluctuations. We always kept her away from soy due to the estrogen-like properties. However one of her worst food triggers is dairy. Cows are fed soybeans for protein and naturally high estrogen would be found in the milk and meat.

Last edited by rainbow24; 01-05-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Butter, the only natural choice. Everything is better with Butter. Only use margarine for baking when it's called for in the recipe.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

I never even buy margarine. Only real butter. I use mostly olive oil for cooking (spray for my morning eggs) extra virgin for stir fries, etc. The butter gets used mostly as a condiment for toast (once or twice a week) , baked potatoes, and popcorn.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

I buy butter from a local farm that free ranges their cows...boy is it good! To me butter is almost health food, sure it has tons of calories but it is real, simple and natural, so I thinks its good for me as long as I control how much I eat. In my opinion just because a food is calorie or fat dense doesn't make it "bad" to eat, only if I overindulge in it. Just my two cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.