Notices

Fasting

Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fasting

Hey All

After a gorge yesterday I'm going for a one day fast, well that was the plan.

Just been drinking water and having 4 green teas (all drunk now)

I read online the benifits of a one day fast and it appears that the body using stored fat for energy doesn't happen until after 24 hours of fasting so in theory a water fast would be more beneficial over 2 or 3 days.

As I'm interested in fasting once a month I've seen juice fast where you eat fruit and veg, and drink fruit juices for a few days as a fast. This flushes the toxins quicker but I can't see how this would 'eat fat'

Anyone with any experience in either, or ideally both, care to shed some advice?

I'm tempted to fast for another day at least if not two. I'm not fussed about the muscle breakdown as my main aim now is weight loss and I will gain muscle once I'm down to my desired weight.

thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I've been hesitant to talk a lot about fasting 'cause I'm pretty much done with it myself.

But, yes, I have fasted numerous times, including two 30 day water fasts.

I've done one to three week water fasts quite a few times.

When I lost 150 lbs or so as a teenager I ate one meal a week for several months (usually an all-meat pizza on Friday night ).

The first day is the worst, but after the second or third day, it's clear sailing for a week or two. After that, it is really more psychological as all hunger stops.

Into week three, at least for me, the muscle cramps start up and get bad--you NEED to drink a LOT of water. I'm sure this is probably not the most healthy thing to do.

You DO lose a lot of weight, and the feeling is great, once the hunger pangs of the first couple of days subside. You will have LOTS more free time and will wonder at the hours once spent eating/preparing to eat.

You will feel euphoric and sometimes lightheaded, especially if you continue to exercise (which if you don't, you'll lose even more muscle tissue). You will probably feel cold.

You will pee a LOT if you are drinking anywhere near enough.

Other than the muscle cramps, it's really a pretty good experience. I will say, though, that it gives one a good understanding of how painful it would be to actually starve to death.

I think that one or two day fasts, perhaps with juice or something to help keep electrolytes in balance wouldn't be bad. Long water fasts, I don't know--they can kick off a low cal diet but in the long run, well, they didn't work out all that well for me (since here I am).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Thank Michael I appreciate your comments.

I'm only planning on doing this for a few days. This first day so far has been easy! I did gorge myself on food last night so thats probably helped me today.

I don't think I could manage a week without food!!! But may play it by ear. I am playing 36 holes of golf on friday so was planning to eat between rounds so only fast today tomorrow and thursday really.

I was only thinking of doing it for today but now I feel fine I want to extend this.

Thanks again Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 03:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by GDay2011
Thank Michael I appreciate your comments.

I'm only planning on doing this for a few days. This first day so far has been easy! I did gorge myself on food last night so thats probably helped me today.

I don't think I could manage a week without food!!! But may play it by ear. I am playing 36 holes of golf on friday so was planning to eat between rounds so only fast today tomorrow and thursday really.

I was only thinking of doing it for today but now I feel fine I want to extend this.

Thanks again Michael
I hope some other folks will contribute--I'm not expert on the topic. I did do some research and reading before taking on the long fast. And, people have fasted for various reasons for thousands of years.

Of course, I'd always recommend talking to your Dr. before doing any of this (not that I ever did) but a week seems pretty reasonable and from my experience didn't get into the muscle cramp issue. Do drink lots and lots (and lots) of water it that's the way you're going. I think you'll really like the feeling if you keep it up.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

I did not do any research, but I'd like to contribute with my experience. I fast every year for 30 days, the fast starts at dawn and finishes at dusk. I eat breakfast, usually an egg wih some soda bread, and then an evening meal - fruit salad as a starter, then some rice with chicken. It's a great detox if you are hooked on caffeine (like i am for most of the year), since you don't want to drink coffee, and each year I lose about 10lb without doing much exercise, energy levels are up and my skin clears up.
You have to make sure you drink at least 2L of water (64oz) and don't continue on this regime for more than a month.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

The fat burning from fasting actually kicks in a lot sooner than that. Usually within 6 hours if I am not mistaken.

I started fasting for weight loss and for health as a lifestyle just recently. I picked up a book called Eat Stop Eat which has loads of good information backed by research.

The way I fast is 1-2 times per week for 24 hours. I normally start in the afternoon or evening after a meal. Then I fast for 24 hours until that same time the next day when I break the fast.

The important thing is not to go through famine and feasting cycles. Its important to eat as you NORMALLY would when breaking a fast or on the other days of the week. If you over eat you can cancel out any of the fat burning that took place by storing extra calories from overeating.

Longer fasts are certainly effective, but more difficult. They also don't take into account the perspective of weight lifters and strength trainees who need to be constantly refueling their bodies.

For me fasting is a permanent solution to weight loss and weight management. I eat healthy 90% of the time, and have my treats 10% of the time, along with 1-2 24 hour fasts per week.

Some of the major benefits for me have been being freed from calorie counting, weighing my food, constantly cooking/cleaning/eating multiple meals a day, worrying about protein consumption and nutrient macros. All of that is gone now, I just eat healthy whole foods with an occasional fast. It is liberating to say the least.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
FitDay Member

Midwest you have me sold mate!!!

So that I have your fast correct, you'll eat say at 6pm for a dinner then fast from 6pm to 6pm the next day and then have dinner again?!?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Occassional fasts work well for me.

I have used 3 to 7 day fasts to kick-off a reduced calorie diet program several times over the last few years. Sometimes I have used a juice fast and recently I did the "Master Cleanse" or "Lemonade" diet.

It seems to have several benefits for me. As noted above, once you get past the first 2 days the hunger pangs do deminish - although for me they never totally go away. I definitely get the energy boost tauted by many, and it makes me examine my normal eating and drinking habits carefully and assess what I can, or need, to give up for a while. It also makes me realize how pervasive food advertising and the availability of food (mostly fast food) is. I never realized how bombarded we are with it until I stopped eating for a while.

My main reason for beginning a low calorie cycle with a fast is that I find it easier to say "no" to everything and then add back in the good foods I plan to rely on for the next couple of months, rather than continuing to eat nearly normally, but saying "no" to a few of the "bad" foods.

For the record I have pretty good eating habits, don't eat much fast or processed food, but I am a true "foodie" and like to eat well. I also don't really think that there are any "bad" foods, just some foods should be reserved for special occassions. In general, portion control is mostly the issue for me and I have a tendency to drink a little more good beer and wine then I should given my size and gender (smallish female), if I am not paying attention.

I definitely lose a few pounds quickly, but about half of them come back as soon as I resume more normal eating habits. But the good feelings of energy and vitality stick around. I do recommend fasting, but contrary to popular advertising, I don't think that it is some miracle csure, just another tool in the tool box.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I have used 3 to 7 day fasts to kick-off a reduced calorie diet program several times over the last few years. Sometimes I have used a juice fast and recently I did the "Master Cleanse" or "Lemonade" diet.

It seems to have several benefits for me. As noted above, once you get past the first 2 days the hunger pangs do deminish - although for me they never totally go away. I definitely get the energy boost tauted by many, and it makes me examine my normal eating and drinking habits carefully and assess what I can, or need, to give up for a while. It also makes me realize how pervasive food advertising and the availability of food (mostly fast food) is. I never realized how bombarded we are with it until I stopped eating for a while.

My main reason for beginning a low calorie cycle with a fast is that I find it easier to say "no" to everything and then add back in the good foods I plan to rely on for the next couple of months, rather than continuing to eat nearly normally, but saying "no" to a few of the "bad" foods.

For the record I have pretty good eating habits, don't eat much fast or processed food, but I am a true "foodie" and like to eat well. I also don't really think that there are any "bad" foods, just some foods should be reserved for special occassions. In general, portion control is mostly the issue for me and I have a tendency to drink a little more good beer and wine then I should given my size and gender (smallish female), if I am not paying attention.

I definitely lose a few pounds quickly, but about half of them come back as soon as I resume more normal eating habits. But the good feelings of energy and vitality stick around. I do recommend fasting, but contrary to popular advertising, I don't think that it is some miracle csure, just another tool in the tool box.
I didn't get into this, but yes, fasting can really help you (well, me at least) break some bad habits. Now, as to hunger, I'm not sure if you did just water? I've a feeling that if you consume "some" calories (such as juice) that you're going to stay hungry.

Good point about the advertising--I noticed the same bombardment of food ads on TV--it's crazy.

So, fastings certainly not for everyone and as a purely weight-loss strategy I don't think it's a good idea but if you want to do it for "cleansing", breaking bad habits, etc. it can be a good experience.

Disclaimer: Always do this under a doctor's supervision.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 PM
FitDay Member

This is a fascinating topic. I've never been attracted to fasting, mostly because I assumed that it would have a negative effect on metabolism, putting you into some kind of starvation mode. This discussion makes me want to research it more.

I don't really view it as a weight-loss strategy for me, but the side benefits sound interesting. I also think it sounds liberating and likely to produce a different mindset.

Can anyone with experience talk a bit more about exercising while fasting? I would be concerned about muscle loss, and wouldn't want to disrupt my routine too much, or make it harder to get back to "normal."

Also, can anyone comment if there are any effects that would interfere with daily activities, especially work?

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.