Notices

can you "over drink" water?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 AM
FitDay Member

Question can you "over drink" water?

I know this is a weird question- but i am trying to drink 12 glasses of water a day to keep my hunger down and flush out my system...But i keep thinking that by drinking all this water i am adding weight to the scale.

What happens when i drink this much water?

thoughts?!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Google "water intoxication"
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by InfectedElf0
Google "water intoxication"
From what I've read, it takes a LOT of water in a very short period of time to get to that level. During previous fasts I drank one to two gallons a day w/no problems. I don't think "12" glasses a day is in any way excessive.

If you're like me, you will eliminate it pretty fast so it really doesn't add to the scale unless you drink it right before weighing in (and who doesn't go pee before weighing in, anyway?). That's not to say that "water" weight can't effect the scale--if you are retaining fluid for whatever reason (female issue, high sodium meal the night before, etc.) of course that can show up when you weigh but it's only temporary.

I think you will find that drinking lots of water helps the weight loss process--it is one way that excess fat that is being burned exits the body. It also helps keep you full and eat less.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

It seems counter-intuitive, but increasing water intake actually reduces fluid retention for a lot of folks. When you pee all that water out, you're also peeing out sodium and other toxins that cause your body to hold on to fluids. But, taken to extremes, yes you can cause serious injury and death with too much water. Even oxygen can cause harm if you get too much for too long a period of time. 12 8oz servings over 24 hours = 96 oz, that's not excessive. Most drinking glasses hold a lot more than 8 oz, though. A one-cup measuring cup is 8 oz, my drinking glasses hold 2 1/2 times that much.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Do research water intoxication because it will make you feel better. There is very very low risk of it and as long as you're not a baby, extreme athlete, or drinking your entire day's water in a period of a couple of minutes, it's unlikely you have anything to worry about. Of course anyone with kidney or other medical conditions should consult their doctor.

I'm a really big guy, but I am now trying to get 160oz of water a day. I usually end up closer to 130 or so, but I also drink green tea on top of that. I can only point to benefits I've seen from the water consumption, and don't feel it is affecting my weigh ins in any negative way.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
I know this is a weird question- but i am trying to drink 12 glasses of water a day to keep my hunger down and flush out my system...But i keep thinking that by drinking all this water i am adding weight to the scale.

thoughts?!
Yes you can overdo it on water, but you are nowhere near the level it would take.
12 - 8 oz glasses of water gives you 96 oz

From what I have researched, you are supposed to drink half your weight in water. I think your siggie said that you are currently 196 or so. That means that your body can easily handle 98 oz.

The information I found also said that you should drink an additional 8 oz of water for every caffeinated beverage you drink, as well as replace fluids that you burn off with exercise.

Now my SIL was told to cool it on the water but she was drinking it in quarts. For every 8 oz I drank, she was drinking a quart.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kcolville

thoughts?!
You pee a lot, and it's very very light in color.