Notices

Diet pills anyone?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

Default Diet pills anyone?

I'm quite skeptical when it comes to diet pills or any "weight loss" supplement of those sorts, but I wonder if anyone takes any dietary pill and how has it worked for you. Right now I'm taking Alli which was prescribed by my doctor, but I'm considering to stop taking them because they work mostly if you have high fat intakes, which is something I'm avoiding with my diet. Besides some studies have shown that Alli may cause liver damage. I have a friend who lost 60 pounds by taking LipoFuze and never had side effects, seems tempting but as I said I'm skeptical. Any weight loss story regarding pills or supplements?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Really, save your money. Fitday and a little self-control until your new habits are established are all you really need. It's basic math--burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. Take in more than you burn and you will gain weight. Period.

I've tried various pills, potions, and fad diets in the past and the only thing that really works is tracking food intake on Fitday. Good luck!

Michael
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
FitDay Member

Ditto, I've tried most of them and none of them work anywhere as well as following a healthy low-cal diet and exercise.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

Agree. The only ones which kinda work (at least in the short term) are the dangerous ones (ephedra-like) but the risk is not worth the benefits.
Tried Alli, but like you I wasn't having much fat in my diet so I quit.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Ive tried a lot- ephedrine based gave me panic attacks and limited results, and non ephedrine based just didnt work! Even Hoodia disappointed... Ive got to agree with everyone above- your own willpower and determination is the best diet pill you'll ever have!

Having said that Ive recently ordered some Capsiplex and will report on their effectiveness when I get them- supposedly they help you burn extra 300kcals per workout! But like I say, I'll update you on results- these were the ones that seemed more promising than others to me anyway...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

I take Adderall... does that count? lol
Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

My personal opinion is unless you have a documented metabolic problem like diabetes or hypothyroidism, diet and exercise is enough. The pills are a crutch, you don't need them. They might speed up the process, but are you going to take them forever? What happens when you stop?

For me 1 to 2 cups of coffee in the morning helps to control my appetite as effectively as any of the pills I've tried, but without the jittery feeling. If you read the bottles, most of them are just vitamins and caffeine anyway.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 160to125
Ive tried a lot- ephedrine based gave me panic attacks and limited results, and non ephedrine based just didnt work! Even Hoodia disappointed... Ive got to agree with everyone above- your own willpower and determination is the best diet pill you'll ever have!

Having said that Ive recently ordered some Capsiplex and will report on their effectiveness when I get them- supposedly they help you burn extra 300kcals per workout! But like I say, I'll update you on results- these were the ones that seemed more promising than others to me anyway...
I used a home made ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin) years back when it was still a bit "fringe" and hadn't been packaged up and available in stores like GNC and before kids starting killing themselves on it. I can tell you it really did seem to work for me. However, the last time I tried something (some years ago, but years after the first time) I also felt panicky. I frankly think they are overall dangerous and I apply that to most of these chemicals.

Some of the chemical supplementation can work but the side effects are either obvious or possibly at the very least subtly nefarious. I do know that, so far, medical science has not struck on any silver bullet approach.

Still to this day you're basically looking at either a stomach stapling for severe weight loss or an adjustment to lifestyle (exercise and/or conscious diet changes).

Diet pills have a storied history of causing dependency. They are, at best, a temporary solution and one that sets the user up to likely failure. This includes all the rubbish ones like Sensa, which I now hear about all over tv/radio.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Chiming in late, but...

In addition to being fat (BMI of 37.8), I've been diagnosed as having Clinical Depression and ADD, so I'm taking 450mg of Wellbutrin and 60mg of Adderall. Both are known to cause at least some weight loss.

Anyhow, since the end of August, I've gone from 262 lbs to 237.8 lbs.

The "good" thing about the appetite suppressing effects of my meds is that I am much less likely to "graze" because I'm working at the computer, or watching tv, and end up bored.

My goal is to reach 115 lbs, which, from what I've been reading, is appropriate for my build.

Last edited by Spacklebaby; 12-29-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default One benefit?

I have found one of the few (if any) benefits the over the counter pills have is simply to remind me that I am watching what I eat. I have generally had a bit of a benefit in the first couple of weeks on almost any of them, which is probably just a placebo effect - but thats OK as long as I haven't bought one of those super expensive brands.

Since you have to keep the pills on hand, and usually take them at a prescibed time, it tends to keep one aware of your food choices and thus helps with making the right choices.

I have thought several time of just making up some geletin pills, putting them in a bottle marked "Super Diet Pills - use with caution" and seeing how effective they would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.