Notices

New..

Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default New..

I'm new to exercising and workout out, sort of. I've been doing my Jillian Michaels DVD for a while now and that's it really. Last week i was doing 20 minute jogs on the spot for around 3 days, but I've damaged my foot due to that and can hardly jog anymore (although I'll keep trying to jump rope on the spot..)

I need good, simple home workouts that have helped you to lose weight really well? I have dumbbell weights and that's about the only equipment I have, even though it only tones up..

What do you people do daily, as an actual exercise routine thats currently making you lose weight? Please try not to advise me on using equipments just now, I don't have the money or the space.. Just simple!

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Hola! Like you, I also workout at home, and with minimal equipment. I also started out with Jillian Michaels (I did the 30-Day Shred for quite some time), but I've moved on from her after discovering other things/instructors I like better. Now I use Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVD's (there's a ton to choose from, but all are good and around $9) and workouts from a few exercise games. For the purposes of this response, though, I'll assume you don't have a game system and/or the inclination to spend the cash on the games. I like Zumba (I'm sure you can get a DVD) although I'm pretty new to it - the moves can be a bit confusing, but as long as you keep moving, I figure it's all good. As far as the other stuff, there are so many exercises you can do at home that are effective and free - mostly it's a matter of using your own body weight for resistance and running/walking in place or just taking a few steps in alternating directions. But I digress. You can use your weights to do a variety of lifting moves - squats, bent-over rows, etc. Push-ups, planks/side planks, crunches, reverse crunches, lunges, side lunges... The list goes on and on. You can check out sparkpeople.com (essentially FitDay's competition, far as I can tell ) or youtube to see these and many other exercises demonstrated.
Be easy on your foot - better to take a day or 2 off than to further aggravate it and not be able to do anything for a week or more. I speak from experience. Feel the burn, not the pain!
Hope that was of some service; I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
FitDay Member

Hi!

Welcome to FD! Hope you'll love it as much as I do.
If you have a bike, then I'd suggest cycling. As long as the roads are snow- and icefree it can be a whole lot of fun - even in winter! Swimming is great. Hiking in general is a good way to get things started. Take the stairs instead of the lift, take the bike instead of the car, walk instead of taking the bus. Body Weight Exercises like lunges, squats, etc. are awesome - all you need is, well, your body (for more exercises wiki "Bodyweight Exercise") I'm not sure if running on the spot is quite as effective as actual running, which I'm totally rooting for, but obviously your foot needs healing first. And you might wanna get a check-up at your doctor's just to make sure that you are in good health. If you are a newbie to jogging, it might be worth trying the Couch to 5 k-Program. I haven't done it myself, but many people on this site have and it seems to be a very successful and doable way to transform yourself from a couch potato into an actual runner. I'm sure you'll get great advice on the program from people who know a whole lot more about it than myself.

Best of luck!

Molly
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Walk, run, squat, lift weights.