Notices

Returning member

Old 12-25-2010, 01:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default Returning member

Hi
I am a 51 year old grandma. I started at Fitday back in 2002 or so, I know this because I found journal entries and some of my custom foods were an indication of what food plan I was following at the time. At that time I was working out six days a week on average.

Since then I have gained only 15 lbs, but I was more than 100 lbs overweight then.

Every year since 2000 I have been a teen camp counselor for one week of the summer. Last year I told them that I could not help out, but this year I have been asked to return. I know that the only way I can do it, is if I lose some weight. The amount matters less than my ability to go steady for seven days on an uneven, hot dusty campground.

My eating is restricted normally due to food allergies. I only have three main allergies, but they remove several other foods from my diet because of may contain labels.

So camp date is July 23 and I have to take off at least 30-60 lbs.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Jen

I don't think I lost anything back then, but I had defined my muscles with daily exercise.

I just looked at my eating plan from back then and it looks like it was a fairly balanced diet. Fruits, vegetables, protein and grains. I have discovered allergies since then, so I cannot follow that one again.

If I am not mistaken, I stopped because of expense and the difficulty of cooking several different dishes. My eldest daughter (dairy free) and my granddaughter (tomato, egg, dairy, soy and gluten free) were living with us at the time. I found myself cooking up to five different meals in a night and it just got too much.

If I lose 100 lbs, I will still be overweight, but I will still have enough weight on my to throw around on the farm. If I lose 150 lbs, I might be within healthy range, but not strong enough to do the work.

What is different now? We only have 2 out of 5 kids left at home. The only allergies I have to cater to are my own, except when either my mom or my granddaughter visit, but that is only short term. The only difficulty I see is exercise and finding time for it.

But I have a plan. I thought I might try Zamba. Now I just have to figure out where a 300+ grandma can do that without offending all the neighbors.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

A belated welcome and I hope you are having success on your journey!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

Question Looking for a buddy/partner?

Hey Rainbow!
I was drawn to your thread instantly- Rainbow is a username or password I've used frequently myself, I am also a returning member- and, to me, best of all, I am also in my early 50's (53). I tried Southbeach Diet in the past and they have delicious recipes, my family even request a couple still- but I didn't really lose anything. Think I should have drank more water & walked/exercised harder/more consistently. I was really disappointed that my online SB buddy was not engaged in the deal at all... too easy to find an excuse to give up, you know? I've blamed insomnia, hormones, medicine, stress, but it comes down to the fact that I am carrying most of my weight on my waist. The every day battle to camouflage the rolls make getting ready for work a struggle & the more self-loathing I feel, the more I find myself stuffing my face. I came across a plan a few days ago that gave me inspiration to make a new effort: something like pledging to lose X amount of weight or your $ goes to some cause that is the complete opposite of your own. I have to get more details, but I think it might work for me. Are you interested in being an Accountability Partner?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Hi

I'm a returning member although I never really used the forums last time. I was on a different site for a couple years and the forums were a great help. This time I will use them for the extra support. I lost 57 pounds a couple years ago -- now I want to lose the 35 I have gained back and a few more. Holidays are over so no more excuses. I am 65 and have lost many times on fad diets. The last time was my most successful - with abalaanced 1500 calorie diet and increased activity -- if only I had stayed with the journaling and support for maintenance. I like this site and want to make the most use I can of it. Mary
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

welcome back! I commend you for helping out at the teen camp.